Good undergraduate physics colleges?

In summary, the student is a senior in high school and is looking for colleges with good physics programs in order to become an astrophysicist. Money is not a factor at the moment. Some recommended schools include Case Western Reserve University, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, University of Maryland at College Park, Michigan State University, University of Minnesota, Ohio State University, University of Pennsylvania, University of Pittsburgh, University of Rochester, University of Texas at Austin, and University of Wisconsin. The student is also advised to search for more schools using Google and to consider smaller colleges as well. Additional resources for finding good physics programs include the website graduate-school.phds.org and the US News & World Report rankings for top science schools.
coconutcab
Hi, I'm a senior in high school (it's the summer before my senior year) and I have been having trouble finding colleges with good physics programs. There are the obvious schools, such as UC Berkeley, Princeton, MIT, etc., but I am wondering what other colleges there are with good physics programs. My long term goal is to get a Ph.D. and be an astrophysicist. I read that aspiring astrophysicists should major in physics as an undergrad, and then specialize in astrophysics as a graduate, is this true? As far as the colleges go, money is not a factor at the moment; it will definitely play a role in which school I decide on attending after I find out which ones accept me or not (but for now, any recommendations are greatly appreciated). Thanks so much in advance! :smile:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There are good physics programs at Case Western Reserve University, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, University of Maryland at College Park, Michigan State University, University of Minnesota, Ohio State University, University of Pennsylvania, University of Pittsburgh, University of Rochester, University of Texas at Austin, and University of Wisconsin.

Google is your friend. One of the things it found for me is: http://graduate-school.phds.org/rankings/physics

Armed with the names of a few good schools, google the list you have and get more lists with more names. Another approach is hunt down names of widely known physicists and find the CVs or BIOs (like on WIkipedia) and see where they went to school (you might get lucky and have one as an advisor some day).

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Skaperen, that was really helpful! I'm definitely interested in Case Western Reserve University (especially since I live close by), so I am going to look into it a lot more. Thanks again; your help was very appreciated! :D

Skaperen said:
Michigan State University

Don't forget the other big school in Michigan. :wink:

And don't overlook the small colleges if you can afford them and like a smaller, more intimate environment where you can really get to know your professors and vice versa (hint: letters of recommendation). In Ohio, Oberlin, Kenyon and Wooster are pretty good.

Last edited:

1. What are the top undergraduate physics colleges in the United States?

Some of the top undergraduate physics colleges in the United States include Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), California Institute of Technology (Caltech), Harvard University, Stanford University, and Princeton University.

2. What factors should I consider when choosing an undergraduate physics college?

Some important factors to consider when choosing an undergraduate physics college are the strength and reputation of the physics department, research opportunities available, faculty expertise and accessibility, class sizes, and the overall academic environment.

3. Are there any specific undergraduate physics colleges known for their research opportunities?

Yes, many undergraduate physics colleges offer research opportunities for students, but some are particularly well-known for their research programs such as MIT, Caltech, and University of California-Berkeley.

4. What are the typical class sizes in undergraduate physics colleges?

Class sizes in undergraduate physics colleges can vary greatly, but they are generally smaller than classes in other majors. Some introductory courses may have larger class sizes, but upper-level courses and labs typically have smaller class sizes to allow for more individualized instruction and hands-on learning.

5. How important is the reputation of an undergraduate physics college?

The reputation of an undergraduate physics college can be important for several reasons. It can affect the quality of education and resources available, the competitiveness of research opportunities and graduate school admissions, and the networking opportunities and job prospects after graduation. However, it is not the only factor to consider and ultimately, the individual student's dedication and hard work will have the most impact on their success in the field of physics.