Good way to test variable-speed generator output?

In summary: The load capacity of the generator is 500 kW. You can only connect a fraction of that (333 kW) due to the high current draw of motors. It sounds like your hospital uses a lot of motors.
HydroGuy
I need to test a variable-speed generator attached to a small wind turbine (lets say). I want to see how much power its producing, as well as the current. It outputs in three-phase Y configuration at frequencies varying from 3 to 9 Hz. The generator is rated at 1.2 kW at 550RPM, with an open circuit rectified DC voltage of 380 V.

I have zero experience working with high-power motors and generators and how to test them. I think the best bet would be to use a purely resistive load, correct? I'd have to use some robust resistors - my thinking was to setup a "bank" of resistors in parallel to meet the power requirement and then connect one bank to each phase. I could then measure voltage, and knowing the resistance of the bank determine power for each phase, right?

Would the load resistance matter in determining output power? Does the load effect how hard the generator is to turn, etc?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think you are actually talking about a dynamo, meaning a brushless alternator with a permanent magnet rotor. The best way to test this is to use the rectified dc diode output (2 per phase) into a single resistive load. You can use a voltmeter to diagnose individual phases. To completely test this you will need a variable speed motor capable of ~1.5 HP at 550 RPM (torque = 26 Nm). Using a fixed-1740 RPM induction motor is not suitable. Electric drills could provide the correct RPM, but lack the torque (HP). The load resistance value depends on the no-load dc output voltage (which is linearly proportional to RPM), and the magnetic coupling efficiency between the magnets and the pickup coils.
Bob S

Last edited:
Hmm, I don't think it's a dynamo... it outputs three phase power. Here is the website:

www.Ginlong.com

I know that I need a voltmeter, but we would need some type of load to deliver the power to, right? I could find open circuit voltage just by spinning it, but I want to see the power delivered through an actual load... I think.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by a moderator:
HydroGuy said:
Hmm, I don't think it's a dynamo... it outputs three phase power. Here is the website:

www.Ginlong.com..

They call it an alternator, but it does not have a slipring to contol the output voltage. Perhaps a PM generator is a better name.

I know that I need a voltmeter, but we would need some type of load to deliver the power to, right? I could find open circuit voltage just by spinning it, but I want to see the power delivered through an actual load... I think.
I agree. If it is a commercial PM generator, its output impedance should be fairly low, but still you need a plot of voltage vs. RPM before you can buy or make kilowatt resistors.

[added] The GL-PMG-1000 PM generator will put out 1600 W and 350 volts at 550 RPM. Nice generator. The resistance should be R = V2/1600 = 76 ohms #@ 1600 watts. You could parallel about 13 1000-ohm 100-watt resistors for full load measurements.

Bob S

Last edited:
Ginlong provides power and voltage curves for the model, but I'm looking to test/confirm it and do some additional testing in the future.

http://www.ginlong.com/images/200906/1000-PMG-Power-Curve-1.jpg

http://www.ginlong.com/images/200906/1000-Open-Circuit-Voltage-1.jpg

Couldn't I just make a bank of say 100 resistors in parallel so I don't have to have resistors rated at 20 W each, etc?

Too bad they don't make these for low frequency applications.
http://www.transcat.com/images/Photos/cw_yokoga.jpg
http://www.transcat.com/Catalog/productdetail.aspx?itemnum=CW121-D-1&utm_source=google&utm_medium=base"
They sure are cute.

HydroGuy said:
Ginlong provides power and voltage curves for the model, but I'm looking to test/confirm it and do some additional testing in the future.

http://www.ginlong.com/images/200906/1000-PMG-Power-Curve-1.jpg

http://www.ginlong.com/images/200906/1000-Open-Circuit-Voltage-1.jpg

Couldn't I just make a bank of say 100 resistors in parallel so I don't have to have resistors rated at 20 W each, etc?

You could cannibalize toasters, hairdryers or other used appliances for some nichrome resistance wire instead of buying a bunch of power resistors. You can stretch out segments for testing various loads.

Hi,
I have a question. We have a 480V, 3 phase,1500.KW emergency generator in my hospital.What is the maximum load can we connect it? most of our loads are motors and pumps. I heard we can connect only 1/3 of the capacity of the generator because the motors are taking starting 3 times current. That means onlky 500KW.Is that true?
Other thing is that most of our motor starting with VFD. Is there any difference of starting current if motor starting with VFDs.

How do we calculate the load when it is running. When our last test we got the amps readings 826,820 and 796 respectively in each phase. I know the power is 1.73x volt x current x power factor.what will be the amps and volts for calculating?The line voltage was showing 282 in each phase.

The way my co wokers are calculating is 1.73 times total amps(2442) times 282Volts/1000 to get the KVA.Is that aright calculation?
I hope some one can help me.
thanks

Performing an Open circuit test and a Short circuit test can help you.
You will be needing a voltmeter and an ammeter.
:approve:

1. What is a variable-speed generator?

A variable-speed generator is a type of generator that can operate at different speeds depending on the demand for electricity. This allows for more efficient and flexible power generation.

2. Why is it important to test the output of a variable-speed generator?

Testing the output of a variable-speed generator is important to ensure that it is functioning properly and producing the desired amount of electricity. It also helps to identify any potential issues or malfunctions that may need to be addressed.

3. What are the methods used to test the output of a variable-speed generator?

The most common methods used to test the output of a variable-speed generator include load testing, open-circuit testing, and short-circuit testing. Load testing involves applying a load to the generator and measuring its output, while open-circuit and short-circuit testing involve measuring the generator's output without any load or with a short circuit, respectively.

4. How often should a variable-speed generator output be tested?

The frequency of testing the output of a variable-speed generator will depend on factors such as its usage, age, and manufacturer's recommendations. Generally, it is recommended to test the output at least once a year, or more frequently if the generator is used extensively.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of variable-speed generator output testing?

There are a few factors that can affect the accuracy of variable-speed generator output testing, including the condition and calibration of testing equipment, environmental conditions, and the experience of the tester. It is important to ensure that all equipment is properly calibrated and that testing is conducted in a controlled environment for accurate results.