Grad Admissions: How Much Does Sub-Department Matter?

In summary, the discussion highlights the discrepancies in acceptance rates among top graduate schools in physics, where some students with impressive GPAs and GRE scores are getting rejected while others with lower scores are being accepted. The main difference seems to be the sub-field within physics that the students applied for, raising the question of how much this factor matters in the overall application process. Although certain sub-departments may be more competitive than others, there is also a level of flexibility as students often switch interests once they begin their graduate studies. Ultimately, there is a balancing act in play as the number of accepted students in each sub-field is determined based on various factors within the department.
tapieoca
I'm browsing through some acceptances posted by prospective graduate students here: http://www.physicsgre.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4274
and there are some guys with very close to 4.0 GPAs and great GRE scores along with pretty good research experiences and letters of recommendations that are getting rejected from top schools when other students with lower GPA and GRE scores but with similar research experience are getting accepted to them. The only real difference I noticed is the field within Physics they applied for.

When applying to a department in general, how much does the sub-department you're applying for matter? For example, in Physics they have different sub-fields such as AMO Experiment, HEP, Plasma Physics, Condensed Matter, etc. If those students who got rejected applied to a different field (and possibly done their research in a different area), would that have affected their application?

Physics news on Phys.org

tapieoca said:
I'm browsing through some acceptances posted by prospective graduate students here: http://www.physicsgre.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4274
and there are some guys with very close to 4.0 GPAs and great GRE scores along with pretty good research experiences and letters of recommendations that are getting rejected from top schools when other students with lower GPA and GRE scores but with similar research experience are getting accepted to them. The only real difference I noticed is the field within Physics they applied for.

When applying to a department in general, how much does the sub-department you're applying for matter? For example, in Physics they have different sub-fields such as AMO Experiment, HEP, Plasma Physics, Condensed Matter, etc. If those students who got rejected applied to a different field (and possibly done their research in a different area), would that have affected their application?
Yes, certain sub-departments are harder to get in than others.
For instance, HEP Theory is the hardest to get in and in general, it's harder to get into the theory side.

The way it has worked at the universities I've been affiliated with is that at some point a decision will be made on how many graduate students will be accepted for that year. Then that will be broken down - so many spots for one field, so many for another - largely depending on factors such as the relative size of each subfield within the department, the number of students graduating, faculty members with grants, etc.

So yes some subfields are easier to get into than others.

I haven't seen in this regimented. one reason is that experience has shown that students interested in one thing coming in often get new and different ideas and move around. This is natural, as they might have heard of HEP and superconductivity, but not, say mesoscopic physics or thin films.

However, there is a sort of soft balancing. We're not going to accept a class that only wants to do solid state, or HEP, or theory, or experiment.

I understand that the graduate admissions process can be very competitive and often difficult to predict. In this situation, it seems that some students with strong academic backgrounds and research experiences are being rejected from top schools while others with seemingly lower qualifications are being accepted. One possible explanation for this could be the sub-department or field within physics that these students applied for.

It is important to note that admissions decisions are not solely based on GPA, GRE scores, and research experience. Other factors such as fit with the department, potential for success in the program, and diversity of the incoming cohort also play a role. With that being said, the sub-department or field that a student applies for can have an impact on their admissions decision.

Different sub-departments within a department may have varying levels of competition and different criteria for admissions. For example, a sub-department that is highly specialized and in high demand may have a more competitive admissions process compared to a sub-department that is less popular. Additionally, the research interests and strengths of the faculty in a particular sub-department may also play a role in admissions decisions.

It is possible that the students who were rejected may have been better suited for a different sub-department within the physics department, where their research experiences and interests aligned more closely with the faculty's. It is also possible that the students who were accepted had a stronger fit with the sub-department they applied to, which may have been a factor in their admissions decision.

Overall, while the sub-department or field within a department may play a role in admissions decisions, it is just one factor among many that are considered. Each student's application is unique and it is difficult to determine the exact reasons for an admissions decision. I would encourage students to continue to pursue their research interests and apply to a variety of sub-departments to increase their chances of acceptance.

Related to Grad Admissions: How Much Does Sub-Department Matter?

What is a sub-department in grad admissions?

A sub-department in grad admissions refers to a specific area of study within a larger department. For example, a psychology department may have sub-departments in clinical psychology, social psychology, and cognitive psychology.

Why does sub-department matter in grad admissions?

Sub-department matters in grad admissions because it determines the specific courses, research opportunities, and faculty mentors that will be available to you during your graduate studies. It is important to choose a sub-department that aligns with your academic and career goals.

How does the ranking of the sub-department affect my graduate studies?

The ranking of the sub-department may affect the resources, funding opportunities, and reputation of the department as a whole. However, it is important to also consider the fit between your research interests and the faculty in your desired sub-department, as this can have a significant impact on your graduate experience.

Can I change my sub-department after being admitted?

It is possible to change your sub-department after being admitted, but it may depend on the policies of the specific graduate program and the availability of spots in your desired sub-department. It is best to discuss this with your advisor or the graduate program coordinator.

How can I determine which sub-department is right for me?

To determine which sub-department is right for you, it is important to research the different sub-departments within your desired department and consider factors such as faculty research interests, course offerings, and career opportunities. You can also reach out to current graduate students or faculty in your desired sub-department for more information.