Grad School Admission Dilemma: Mechanical Engineering vs. Mathematics Background

In summary, the conversation discusses a person's situation where they have been conditionally accepted into a graduate program for mechanical engineering despite having an undergraduate degree in mathematics. The person is required to take a 300 level fluid mechanics course to gain full admission, but they have already taken an advanced 500 level fluid mechanics course at the same university. The person is seeking advice on whether or not the school's decision is fair and what reasons they may have for enforcing this requirement. It is suggested that the school may want the person to take their course for a different perspective on fluid mechanics, as the course they previously took had a greater emphasis on theory rather than engineering. Ultimately, it is up to the person to decide if they are comfortable with the engineering
member 428835
Hi pf!

I was wondering if any of you can lend your opinion on my situation: I've been conditionally accepted into a graduate school for mechanical engineering although my undergrad was in mathematics. Evidently to gain full admission I am required to take a 300 level course, namely fluid mechanics. However, I have taken, from this university, the advanced fluid mechanics at the 500 level (yes, I received graduate credit for this).

My question is, do you agree with the schools decision? If so can you explain why? If not, please let me know.

Thanks a ton! For the record, yes, I am going to contact the university to make sure they are aware of the situation, but I wanted to seek advice before talking with them.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I would argue that it is really irrelevant whether or not people on pf agree with the school's decision. All that can be done is you can explain to the school that you've taken advanced fluid mechanics and think that the requirement you take fluid mechanics there is unnecessary.

They will ultimately decide what they decide and then you can choose whether or not to attend.

Thanks for the reply, and while you're being logical, this is something I'm aware of. I'm trying to think of reasons why they would enforce this...again, thanks for the reply

Without knowing more about the course that you took and the course they want you to take, this is a very unclear situation. You did your undergraduate degree in math, so would I be wrong to assume that the fluid mechanics course you took had a greater emphasis on the theory behind fluid mechanics (i.e. it was a physics course)? If so, maybe they want you to take the course they offer because it offers a greater emphasis on the engineering aspects of fluid mechanics.

If this is in fact the case, the degree to which I would accept taking the course would depend on how comfortable you are with 'an engineer's perspective'. Specifically, I mean knowing the techniques in engineering classes for project planning, making approximations, etc... that sometimes aren't taught in theory oriented classes.

That's my two cents, good luck!

That's an interesting thought (your entire post). And thinking about it, yes, I was taking a physics course with an engineering title...thanks, you've given me some thought here.

Related to Grad School Admission Dilemma: Mechanical Engineering vs. Mathematics Background

1. What are the main differences between pursuing a graduate degree in Mechanical Engineering versus Mathematics?

The main difference between these two fields is their focus and application. Mechanical Engineering is a branch of engineering that deals with the design, construction, and maintenance of mechanical systems, while Mathematics is a field of study that deals with numbers, quantities, and shapes. In terms of career opportunities, Mechanical Engineering graduates typically work in industries such as automotive, aerospace, and manufacturing, while Mathematics graduates often work in fields such as finance, data analysis, and research.

2. Can I pursue a graduate degree in Mechanical Engineering with a Mathematics background?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a graduate degree in Mechanical Engineering with a Mathematics background. However, you may need to take some prerequisite courses in engineering and science to catch up on the necessary skills and knowledge. It may also be beneficial to gain practical experience through internships or research projects to strengthen your application.

3. Is it necessary to have a Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering to be admitted into a graduate program in this field?

While having a Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering can make your application more competitive, it is not always a requirement for admission into a graduate program in this field. Some programs may consider applicants with a strong background in related fields such as Physics or Mathematics. It is best to check with the specific program you are interested in to see their specific requirements.

4. Will having a Mathematics background limit my job opportunities as a Mechanical Engineering graduate?

No, having a Mathematics background will not limit your job opportunities as a Mechanical Engineering graduate. In fact, having a strong foundation in Mathematics can be beneficial in many aspects of mechanical engineering, such as modeling and analysis. Additionally, many employers value diverse skill sets and may see a Mathematics background as an asset.

5. How can I decide between pursuing a graduate degree in Mechanical Engineering or Mathematics with a background in both fields?

The decision ultimately depends on your interests, career goals, and strengths. Consider researching the curriculum and career opportunities of graduate programs in both fields, and talk to professionals and current graduate students in each field to gain a better understanding of what each entails. It may also be helpful to talk to a career counselor or advisor to discuss your options and determine which path aligns best with your goals.