1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gradient and Hessian of the Coulomb/Electrostatic Energy

1. Feb 15, 2016 #1
    I have a function

$$\displaystyle V(x)=\frac{1}{2}\sum_i \sum_{j \neq i} q_i q_j \frac{1}{\left|r_i - r_j\right|}$$ where ##r_i=\sqrt{x_i^2+y_i^2+z_i^2}## which is the coulomb potential energy of a system of charges.

I need to calculate ##\frac{\partial V}{\partial x_k}## and ##\frac{\partial^2 V}{\partial x_k \partial x_l}## for an optimization routine.

I guess I want to treat the set ##(x_i , y_i, z_i)## where i runs from 1 to N as independent variables ##(x_j)## where j runs from 1 to 3N (the direct sum of the position vectors).

Would ##r_i = \sqrt{x_{3i-2}+x_{3i-1}+x_{3i}}## then?

I ask because but I am not sure how to calculate the ##\frac{\partial r_i}{\partial x_k}## term

I was also thinking maybe I can just calculate ##\frac{\partial r_i}{\partial x_k}, \frac{\partial r_i}{\partial y_k}, \frac{\partial r_i}{\partial z_k}## separately and then just relabel them as independent variables but I am not sure if this will work.

Any help would be appreciated

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi,

##r_i## is not ##\sqrt{x_i^2+y_i^2+z_i^2}## !
    ## r_i ## is simply a vector ##\vec r_i = (x_i, y_i,z_i)## !
    You need ##| \vec r_i - \vec r_j | ## which is the square root of ## (\vec r_i - \vec r_j) \cdot (\vec r_i - \vec r_j) ##

In your notation (somewhat awkward) this would be $$
    | \vec r_i - \vec r_j | = \sqrt{ ( x_{3i-2} - x_{3j-2} )^2 + ( x_{3i-1} - x_{3j-1} )^2 + ( x_{3i} - x_{3j} )^2 }
    $$

4. Feb 15, 2016 #3
    Thanks for that correction, bit of an oversight!

How would you suggest I calculate the gradient and the hessian analytically without that notation?

5. Feb 15, 2016 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your ##V## looks an awful lot like the ##\ \ W\quad (1.51)\ \ ## in my 1974 Jackson 2nd edition, except that ##W## is a scalar and you write ##V(x)##. What does this ##x## stand for ? And how do you intend to optimize if ##V## diverges when ##\vec r_i \rightarrow \vec r_j ## ? Are there any boundary conditions ? In short: could you tell us a little more of your plans :smile: ?

6. Feb 16, 2016 #5
    Sorry V is the coulomb potential for a system of charges each with position ##r_i=(x_i, y_i, z_i)##, it is a scalar function as you say of these positions. I want to create a gradient ##\frac{\partial V}{\partial x_k}## and a hessian ##\frac{\partial^2 V}{\partial x_k \partial x_l}## where the coordinates ##x_k## are the direct sum of the ##(x_i, y_i, z_i)##

So for a system of two charges I would have ##r_1=(x_1, y_1, z_1) \ , \ r_2=(x_2, y_2, z_2)## so ##\textbf{x}=(x_1, y_1, z_1, x_2, y_2, z_2)## and my gradient would look like ##(\frac{\partial V}{\partial x_1}, \frac{\partial V}{\partial y_1}, \frac{\partial V}{\partial z_1}, \frac{\partial V}{\partial x_2}, \frac{\partial V}{\partial y_2}, \frac{\partial V}{\partial z_2})##

I originally thought it would be a good idea to rewrite ##\textbf{x}=(x_1, y_1, z_1, x_2, y_2, z_2)## as ##(x_1, x_2, x_3, x_4, x_5, z_6)## using the coordinate transformations ##x_i \to x_{3i-2}, \ y_i \to x_{3i-1}, \ z_i \to x_{3i}## but as you said the notation is clunky.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook