1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gradient transforms under axes rotation

1. Feb 9, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [itex]f[/itex] is a function of two variables: y, z. I want to show that the gradient:

[tex]\nabla f=\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\hat y + \frac{\partial f}{\partial z}\hat z[/tex]
    Transforms as a vector under rotation of axes.
    2. Relevant equations
    The rotation of axes:
    [tex]A \left\{\begin{array}{l}\bar {y} = y \cdot \cos \phi + z \cdot \sin \phi \\ \bar {z} = -y \cdot \sin + z \cdot \cos \end{array}\right.[/tex]
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I use the chain rule:
    [tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial \bar {y}}=\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\frac{\partial y}{\partial \bar {y}}+\frac{\partial f}{\partial z}\frac{\partial z}{\partial \bar {y}}[/tex]
    And the similar for [itex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial \bar {z}}[/itex]. In order to find [itex]\frac{\partial y}{\partial \bar {y}}[/itex] and [itex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial \bar {z}}[/itex] i solve A for y and z and get:

[tex]\left\{\begin{matrix} y= \bar {y}\cdot \cos \phi - \bar {z}\cdot \sin \phi \\ z= \bar {y}\cdot \sin \phi +\bar {z}\cdot \cos \phi\end{matrix}\right.[/tex]

Now i get:
    [tex]\left\{\begin{array}{l}\frac{\partial f}{\partial \bar {y}}=\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}(-\sin \phi)+\frac{\partial f}{\partial z}\cos \phi \\ \frac{\partial f}{\partial \bar {z}}=\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}(-\cos \phi)+\frac{\partial f}{\partial z}(-\sin \phi)\end{array}\right.[/tex]
    Not as i expected, in the form of A.
    It is closer to switching between the axes, but that's all i understand from this result.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2012 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

How did you get ##\partial y/\partial \bar{y} = -\sin \phi##? That's what your final results imply. Similar questions for the other derivatives.

4. Feb 14, 2012 #3
    For [itex]\partial y/\partial \bar{y}[/itex] I differentiated the formula i derived earlier:
    [tex]y= \bar {y}\cdot \cos \phi - \bar {z}\cdot \sin \phi[/tex]

5. Feb 14, 2012 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Which doesn't give you ##\partial y/\partial \bar{y} = -\sin \phi##. That's why I'm asking where did you get that from.

6. Feb 15, 2012 #5
    You mean i have a mistake in differentiating [itex]y= \bar {y}\cdot \cos \phi - \bar {z}\cdot \sin \phi[/itex]? how come?
    The derivative of [itex]\cos[/itex] is [itex]-\sin[/itex], and i ignore the second member [itex] \bar {z}\cdot \sin \phi[/itex] because it doesn't contain [itex]\bar {y}[/itex].
    Or you ask how did i get: [itex]y= \bar {y}\cdot \cos \phi - \bar {z}\cdot \sin \phi[/itex]?

7. Feb 15, 2012 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

[itex]-sin(\phi)[/itex] is the derivative of [itex]cos(\phi)[/itex] with respect to [itex]\phi[/itex]. You are not differentiating with respect to [itex]\phi[/itex]. [itex]\phi[/itex] is a constant.

8. Feb 15, 2012 #7
    Thanks!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook