Graduate school after quitting in the past

In summary, you can definitely restart your graduate studies, but you'll need to provide convincing evidence that you've made the effort and changed your behavior.
mathphdat30?
I will try to put this as succinctly as possible.

When I was 26 I had spent two years in a terminal master's program in mathematics. I was pretty distracted. I was a B+/B student for the most part. I ended up with two C's, both in my first semester. Regardless, I was distracted and moved on.

I'm now 29. For the past three years I have worked for a community college, got married (which more or less whipped me into shape), and been a substitute teacher. I am a full time tutor in their learning center and half-time instructor for pre-college math/GED type classes. In the past year I took four classes at a local university (Differenial Geometry, Functional Analysis I/II, and Graduate DiffEqs) and got all As. I took the subject GRE in math (~70th percentile :( ). I have not taken the General GRE yet.

I am interested in applying to the PhD program. I do not need funding from the university since the institution I work for will pay for my college and is pretty flexible as long as I log in all the required hours I am suppose to work each pay period. I have relatively substantial savings as well.

I am wondering if it would be possible to restart graduate studies, specifically because I have seen wildly positive (anything by Mathwonk) and negative advice.

Physics news on Phys.org
Of course it's possible.

You have quit or failed out of graduate school in the past and that will count against you. But since then things have changed. You've demonstrated the ability to get high marks in graduate level coursework, and while that won't erase the past, it shows that things have changed. The only way you'll know for sure is to appy and see what happens.

Should I address any of this in my personal statement, and if so, how?

When applying, you need to send transcripts from all prior academic institutions. Many schools give you a place to justify any poor grades or lack of effort. So definitely discuss it there.

Also, did you end up with a master's? Or did you leave before then?

samnorris93 said:
Also, did you end up with a master's? Or did you leave before then?

I did not end up with my Master's. The program I was in was quite small and I started to get really worried that I was gaining the reputation as the student who was too lazy. I stayed in contact with two of the professors I had, though I was thinking about getting letters from the professors I most recently had.

1. Can I still apply to graduate school if I quit in the past?

Yes, you can still apply to graduate school even if you quit in the past. It is important to explain the reasons for your previous departure and how you have grown and learned from the experience.

2. Will quitting in the past affect my chances of getting into graduate school?

It may have some impact on your application, but it does not necessarily mean you will not be accepted into graduate school. Admissions committees consider a variety of factors such as academic performance, letters of recommendation, and personal statements.

3. Should I mention my previous departure in my graduate school application?

Yes, it is important to be honest and transparent about your past experiences in your graduate school application. However, make sure to frame it in a positive light and emphasize what you have learned and how it has prepared you for graduate studies.

4. How can I improve my chances of getting into graduate school after quitting in the past?

One way to improve your chances is by addressing the reasons for your previous departure in your personal statement and highlighting how you have grown and matured since then. You can also showcase your academic strengths and experiences through strong letters of recommendation and a well-written resume or CV.

5. Are there any specific graduate programs that are more forgiving of past departures?

It ultimately depends on the individual graduate program and their admissions criteria. However, some programs may be more understanding and open to applicants with past departures if they can demonstrate their readiness and commitment to graduate studies.