Graduate Studies in Math at Rice

In summary, the conversation discusses the general perception of graduate studies in math at Rice University. The speaker inquires about how it compares to other universities in terms of admission difficulty and quality of education. They mention considering graduate study in applied math at Rice and note that it is a highly reputable program, ranked in the top 20-25 for Mathematics graduate programs.
sutupidmath
I was wondering what is the general perception of the graduate studies in math at Rice?

First off, how does it compare with UT say, and other universities as far as the difficulty of getting in goes, and also the quality of education?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not a student there...or even know any students there, but I've looked into doing graduate study in applied math at Rice. I don't know about the general perception from other Universities and professors, but I think it looks like a very respectable program.

I think they're somewhere in the top 20-25 range in the Mathematics graduate rankings, so I'd say that's not too shabby.

1. What are the admission requirements for graduate studies in Math at Rice?

Rice University's Department of Mathematics requires applicants to have a strong background in mathematics, including advanced coursework in calculus, linear algebra, and abstract algebra. A bachelor's degree in mathematics or a closely related field is also required. Additionally, applicants must submit GRE scores, transcripts, letters of recommendation, and a statement of purpose.

2. Is there financial support available for graduate students in Math at Rice?

Yes, Rice University offers competitive financial support for graduate students in the form of teaching or research assistantships, fellowships, and scholarships. These awards cover tuition and provide a stipend to support living expenses.

3. What research opportunities are available for graduate students in Math at Rice?

Rice University's Department of Mathematics has a wide range of research areas, including algebra, analysis, geometry, topology, and applied mathematics. Graduate students have the opportunity to work with renowned faculty members on cutting-edge research projects and present their findings at conferences.

4. How long does it take to complete a graduate degree in Math at Rice?

The average time to complete a graduate degree in Math at Rice is 5-6 years, but this can vary depending on the program and individual progress. Students can also opt for a dual degree program, which allows them to earn a master's and a PhD in a shorter amount of time.

5. Can I pursue a graduate degree in Math at Rice part-time or online?

Rice University's Department of Mathematics does not currently offer part-time or online graduate programs. All graduate students are expected to be enrolled full-time and attend classes on campus. However, the department does offer some courses in the evening for working professionals.