Grandpa Chet's Entropy Recipe - Comments

• Thread starter Chestermiller
  • Start date
  • Tags
    entropy
In summary, Chestermiller posted a PF Insights article titled "Grandpa Chet's Entropy Recipe" which received positive feedback. The post sparked a discussion about entropy change in closed and isolated systems, with Chestermiller clarifying that isolated systems are a subset of closed systems. The article was found to be extremely helpful by a Master student in thermal engineering.
Chestermiller
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
2023 Award
Chestermiller submitted a new PF Insights post

Grandpa Chet's Entropy Recipe

entropy.png

Continue reading the Original PF Insights Post.

Likes Logic hunter, Lo Scrondo, QuantumQuest and 9 others
Science news on Phys.org
Don't be so hard on yourself. I always thought of you more like the crazy old uncle.

Thank you Chet! I am a Master student in thermal engineering and I find this extremely helpful. [emoji4]

boneh3ad said:
Don't be so hard on yourself. I always thought of you more like the crazy old uncle.
I don't know about the uncle part, but...

You're the best, Chet!

Many thanks for your contribution Chet, I've read many useful answers you gave here, before signing in!

If I just could ask a thing...Your insight talks about entropy change in closed systems. However, doesn't the last example depict an isolated system?

Last edited:
Lo Scrondo said:
Many thanks for your contribution Chet, I've read many useful answers you gave here, before signing in!

If I just could ask a thing...Your insight talks about entropy change in closed systems. However, doesn't the last example depict an isolated system?
Isolated systems are a subset of closed systems.

Chestermiller said:
Isolated systems are a subset of closed systems.

I've thought that this could be the motivation. Thanks for your confirm!

this article alone was sufficient to get my thermodynamics right.

1. What is Grandpa Chet's Entropy Recipe?

Grandpa Chet's Entropy Recipe is a hypothetical recipe created by a fictional character named Grandpa Chet. It is often used as a thought experiment to understand the concept of entropy, which is a measure of disorder or randomness in a system.

2. How is Grandpa Chet's Entropy Recipe related to science?

Grandpa Chet's Entropy Recipe is related to science because it is used as a teaching tool to demonstrate the concept of entropy, which is an important concept in many scientific fields such as thermodynamics, information theory, and chemistry.

3. Is Grandpa Chet's Entropy Recipe a real recipe?

No, Grandpa Chet's Entropy Recipe is not a real recipe. It is a thought experiment and does not actually provide instructions for making a dish.

4. What can we learn from Grandpa Chet's Entropy Recipe?

From Grandpa Chet's Entropy Recipe, we can learn about the concept of entropy and how it relates to the second law of thermodynamics. We can also understand how the randomness or disorder of a system can increase over time, and how this relates to the flow of energy.

5. Why is Grandpa Chet's Entropy Recipe important?

Grandpa Chet's Entropy Recipe is important because it helps us understand a fundamental concept in science and how it applies to various fields. It also highlights the concept of irreversibility, where some processes cannot be undone due to the increase in entropy.