Graph x^4: Learn How to Plot the Equation

• Thread starter Chemistry101
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Translation
You can do the same thing using the "function tables" in your calculator. If you are graphing x2, enter in some x values (say -2, -1, 0, 1, 2) and see what the corresponding values of x2 are (4, 1, 0, 1, 4). If you are graphing x4, enter in the same x values and see what the values of x4 are (16, 1, 0, 1, 16).In summary, to graph x^4, you must take the fourth power of each x value and plot the resulting points. The graph will have a similar shape to x^2 but
Chemistry101
How do you graph x^4?
I understand that x^2 is over 1 up 1 over 1 up 3 over 1 up 5 etc...

But for x^4? What is it? When I plugged it into the calculator the graphs were totally different?

Help?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not entirely sure that I understand what you're asking.

If your function is f(x)=x^4, that simply means that for every x value, you must take the fourth power of that. For example, f(1)=1^4=1*1*1*1=1, and f(2)=2^4=2*2*2*2=16. Your graph should look very similar to x^2 and should be in a parabola form that opens upwards and has a vertex of (0,0). The only difference is the x^4 will increase much more rapidly; however, the general shape will hold. Try changing your window to something narrower but taller. Also, make sure that your calculator is in the correct mode (avoid radians in this case).

Did this answer your question, or did I misunderstand?

Chemistry101 said:
How do you graph x^4?

(x+1)2 - x2 = x2 + 2x + 1 - x2 = 2x + 1

But for x^4?

Won't be that easy, the difference grows with 3rd power of x (plus some other terms).

Chemistry101 said:
How do you graph x^4?
Yes, because 02= 0, 12= 1, and 1- 0= 1. 22= 4, and 4- 1= 3. 32= 9, and 9- 4= 5, etc.
04= 0, 14= 1, and 1- 0= 1. 24= 16 and 16-1= 15. 34= 81, and 81- 16= 65: You go "over 1 up 1, over 1 up 15, over 1 up 65, etc. (Assuming, of course, that you are starting at (0,0).)

You understand, I hope, that it is the value of the function that is important. Going "over 1 up ..." is one particular (and slightly unusual) shortcut.

Related to Graph x^4: Learn How to Plot the Equation

1. What is the equation for a graph of x^4?

The equation for a graph of x^4 is y = x^4, where x is the independent variable and y is the dependent variable.

2. How do you plot a graph of x^4?

To plot a graph of x^4, you first need to choose a range of values for the independent variable, x. Then, substitute each value of x into the equation y = x^4 to find the corresponding value of y. Finally, plot the points on a coordinate plane and connect them with a smooth curve.

3. What is the shape of a graph of x^4?

The shape of a graph of x^4 is a smooth, upward-facing curve. This is because, as the exponent increases, the rate of change becomes steeper, resulting in a curve that is more steeply upward.

4. What are the key points to remember when graphing x^4?

When graphing x^4, it is important to remember that the function is symmetric about the y-axis and has a minimum at the origin (0,0). It also passes through the points (1,1) and (-1,1).

5. How does changing the value of x affect the graph of x^4?

Changing the value of x in the equation y = x^4 affects the graph by altering the steepness of the curve. As x increases, the graph becomes steeper, and as x decreases, the graph becomes flatter. Additionally, positive values of x result in positive values of y, while negative values of x result in negative values of y, creating a symmetric curve.