Graphical analysis of a damped harmonic system

In summary, the conversation discusses solving for the mass and dampening factor in a damped harmonic oscillator problem. The participants discuss using various equations and methods, such as finding the ratio of amplitudes and plotting a graph of natural logs, to solve for the unknowns. The correct equation for the period is given and the second equation for solving for b and m is identified.
freshcoast

Homework Statement

a2sx9j.jpg

Homework Equations

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmonic_oscillator#Damped_harmonic_oscillator
5f3i2r.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

Part a)
I believe to find the mass I can use the equation
$$ T = 2pi * sqrt( k / m ) $$

with T = 0.6s

Part b)

I am confused on this part, I feel like I am to use one of the equations I posted above but I don't know what to set the equations equal to so I am having a hard time solving for the b.

I believe I won't be able to continue without finding the previous parts.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the equation 15.42. The amplitude is an exponentially decreasing function of time. Compare the amplitudes in the picture. What is the ratio of the amplitudes at 0.25 s and at 3.5 s?

ehild

Hmm. I see, Since I know two amplitudes and two times, ill call amplitude at t1 A, and t2 B, which will give me 2 equations

Ae-bt1/2m = Be-bt2/2m I just have an algebraic question, When I take the ratio of the two amplitudes and the ratio of both the e functions and use the ln function to get rid of the "e's", the "b's" in the equation, do they cancel each other out? or does it become one variable and I am to solve for that?

"Amplitude" means the factor in front of the cosine term, the deviation of the maximum or minimum from the zero value. At ti,
A=xme-bt1/2m.
At t2,
B=xme-bt2/2m
Take the ratio A/B

A/B=e-b/2m (t1-t2)

Take the logarithm of both sides. The b-s do not cancel out.

Plug in A, B, t1, t2: you find b/2m, but the approximate value of m is known already.

ehild

Oh I see, I didn't know the time was going to equal t2-t1 instead of t2/t1.

Anyways continuing on.

part c) would since I found b, the equation would just be like the one in (15-42) but plug in the "b" that was found?

part d) Since I know the dampening factor now, I can compare two equations using equation (15-42) at two different periods with two different amplitudes?

part e) I think I have solved this one, but I know I am to just take the slope at 3s, which will give me the angular velocity and from there I can just choose another spot where the slope is 0 to find the angular acceleration. I think I may have to clarify to the teacher whether or not he is looking for the angular velocity/acceleration or linear.

freshcoast said:
Oh I see, I didn't know the time was going to equal t2-t1 instead of t2/t1.

The exponents subtract if you divide two exponentials: ex/ey=ex-y.

freshcoast said:
Anyways continuing on.

part c) would since I found b, the equation would just be like the one in (15-42) but plug in the "b" that was found?

yes, plug in everything you have found.

freshcoast said:
part d) Since I know the dampening factor now, I can compare two equations using equation (15-42) at two different periods with two different amplitudes?
Compare two subsequent maxima. How do you get the energy of the system, knowing the amplitude?
freshcoast said:
part e) I think I have solved this one, but I know I am to just take the slope at 3s, which will give me the angular velocity and from there I can just choose another spot where the slope is 0 to find the angular acceleration. I think I may have to clarify to the teacher whether or not he is looking for the angular velocity/acceleration or linear.

The problem clearly asks acceleration and velocity. Look out, at what stage is the vibration at t=3 s?

ehild

Plot a graph of the natural log of the maximum and minimum amplitudes of the oscillation as a function of time. Fit a straight line to the data. The slope of this straight line should be -b/(2m). Using this plot will allow you to include much more of the data in determining the value of b/(2m), thus reducing the uncertainty.

Your equation for the period is incorrect. It should be:

[tex]T=\frac{2π}{\omega '}=\frac{2π}{\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}-\frac{b^2}{4m}}}[/tex]

Therefore,

[tex]\frac{k}{m}-\frac{b^2}{4m}=(\frac{2π}{T})^2[/tex]

You now have two equations in two unknowns to solve for b and m.

Compare two subsequent maxima. How do you get the energy of the system, knowing the amplitude?

I see, I believe I am to take the 1/2kx2 of two subsequent maxima.

The problem clearly asks acceleration and velocity. Look out, at what stage is the vibration at t=3 s?

Do you mean the amplitude? at 3s I believe it looks like it equals to 0. I should've mentioned the points I will be looking at is the time a little before and after 3s.

Plot a graph of the natural log of the maximum and minimum amplitudes of the oscillation as a function of time. Fit a straight line to the data. The slope of this straight line should be -b/(2m). Using this plot will allow you to include much more of the data in determining the value of b/(2m), thus reducing the uncertainty.

Hmm, I tried this but I am not given a number for a natural log of a negative number?

T=2π ω ′ =2π k m −b 2 4m − − − − − − − √

Therefore,

k m −b 2 4m =(2π T ) 2

I don't see which one is my second equation?

freshcoast said:
Hmm, I tried this but I am not given a number for a natural log of a negative number?

I don't see which one is my second equation?

Just plot the natural logs of the absolute values. How did the graph look with just the natural logs of the maxima plotted? Was it a straight line? Now include the points for the natural logs of the absolute values of the minima.

The second equation is

-b/(2m) = slope of the plotted line

freshcoast said:
I see, I believe I am to take the 1/2kx2 of two subsequent maxima.

Take the ratio of them.
freshcoast said:
Do you mean the amplitude? at 3s I believe it looks like it equals to 0. I should've mentioned the points I will be looking at is the time a little before and after 3s.

Yes, the acceleration is about zero, as the object goes through its equilibrium point at t=3 s. What is the speed at the equilibrium point of an SHM?

ehild

Chestermiller said:

[tex]T=\frac{2π}{\omega '}=\frac{2π}{\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}-(\frac{b}{2m})^2}}[/tex]

Therefore,

[tex]\frac{k}{m}-(\frac{b}{2m})^2=(\frac{2π}{T})^2[/tex]

I made a typo error in a couple of the equations in the earlier version of the above quote. That error has been corrected here.

I plotted up the data as described in my previous postings, and got

slope of plotted line = -0.128

Therefore, b/(2m) = 0.128 s-1

The first question in the problem asks the estimated value of the mass, assuming low damping. So it is safe to use the simple formula k/m=(2∏/T)2 to get the mass. Indeed, 2∏/T>>b/2m=0.128.

ehild

ehild said:
The first question in the problem asks the estimated value of the mass, assuming low damping. So it is safe to use the simple formula k/m=(2∏/T)2 to get the mass. Indeed, 2∏/T>>b/2m=0.128.

ehild

Yes. Thanks. I can see that now. But, at the beginning, it didn't seem obvious to me.

Chet

It was suggested: "You may assume the system is lightly damped".

ehild

ehild said:
It was suggested: "You may assume the system is lightly damped".

ehild

I guess I was supposed to conclude from this that (b/2m)2<<k/m, but I didn't. In any event, lucky for me, it was not necessary to make this assumption, and the method I suggested gave the correct answer anyway.

Chet

1. What is a damped harmonic system?

A damped harmonic system is a type of mechanical or electrical system that exhibits periodic motion, with the amplitude of the oscillations decreasing over time due to the presence of a damping force. This system can be represented by a mathematical model called a damped harmonic oscillator.

2. How is graphical analysis used in studying a damped harmonic system?

Graphical analysis is used to plot the displacement or position of the damped harmonic system over time. This allows us to visualize the behavior of the system and determine important characteristics such as the amplitude, frequency, and damping ratio.

3. What are the key features of a graph representing a damped harmonic system?

The key features of a graph representing a damped harmonic system are the amplitude, period, and decay rate. The amplitude is the maximum displacement of the system, the period is the time it takes for one complete oscillation, and the decay rate is the rate at which the amplitude decreases over time due to damping.

4. How does the damping ratio affect the behavior of a damped harmonic system?

The damping ratio, denoted by the symbol ζ, is a measure of how quickly the amplitude of the system decreases over time. A higher damping ratio leads to a faster decay of the amplitude and a quicker return to equilibrium. On the other hand, a lower damping ratio results in a slower decay and longer oscillation period.

5. How can we determine the damping ratio from a graph of a damped harmonic system?

The damping ratio can be determined by measuring the time it takes for the amplitude to decrease to a certain percentage of its initial value. This can be done by finding the logarithmic decrement of the system, which is the natural logarithm of the ratio between two successive amplitudes. The damping ratio can then be calculated using the formula ζ = 1/n, where n is the number of oscillations it takes for the amplitude to decrease by the specified percentage.