Graphing a quantitatively accurate v vs. t

• Thread starter Johny 5
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graphing
In summary, the conversation discusses a scenario where a car is cruising at 25 m/s and encounters a washed out bridge. The driver applies the brakes and comes to a stop in 4.0 seconds. The homework assignment includes constructing qualitative and quantitative graphical representations of the situation, determining the car's displacement during braking, and explaining the problem-solving method. The first question is answered correctly, but the second question about the accurate v vs t graph and the third question about the slope in a v-t graph remain unanswered.
Johny 5

Homework Statement

While Cruising along a dark stretch of highway with the cruise control set at 25 m/s, you see, at the fringes of your headlights, that a bridge has been washed out. You apply the brakes and come to a stop in 4.0s. Assume the clock starts the instant you hit the brakes

Homework Equations

1. Construct a qualitative graphical representations of the situation described above to illustrate:
A. x vs. t
B. v vs. t
C. a vs. t

2. Construct a quantitatively accurate v vs t graph to describe the situation.
3. On a v vs t graph, graphically represent the car's displacement during braking.
4. Utilizing the graphical representation, determine how far the car traveled during braking. (Please explain the problem solving method)

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the first question right but that's as far as i could get...

Since the initial position is 25m and it comes to a stop at 4.0s would the accurate v vs t graph have a slope of 6.25? (dividing 25 (rise) by 4 (run) )

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What would the slope represent in a v-t graph?

The next question, sorry I didn't write the whole thing, but it explains the next a vs t graph and i already solved this I don't know why i couldn't answer this, probably because it was 4 in the morning. Thanks anyway

What is the purpose of graphing a quantitatively accurate v vs. t?

Graphing a quantitatively accurate v vs. t allows us to visually represent the relationship between velocity and time, and can provide valuable insights into the behavior of a system or phenomenon.

How do I create a graph of v vs. t?

To create a graph of v vs. t, you will need to plot the values of velocity (v) on the y-axis and time (t) on the x-axis. Make sure to label both axes and title the graph appropriately. You can use graphing software or create a hand-drawn graph using a ruler and graph paper.

What type of data should I use for a v vs. t graph?

A v vs. t graph is typically used to plot continuous data, such as measurements taken at regular intervals over a period of time. This can include data from experiments, simulations, or real-world observations.

How do I interpret a v vs. t graph?

The slope of a v vs. t graph represents the acceleration of the system. A steeper slope indicates a greater acceleration, while a flatter slope indicates a slower acceleration. The shape of the graph can also provide information about the velocity and acceleration of the system.

What are some common mistakes when graphing v vs. t?

Some common mistakes when graphing v vs. t include not labeling the axes or omitting units, using the wrong type of data (e.g. discrete instead of continuous), and not choosing appropriate scales for the axes. It is also important to ensure that the data is accurately plotted and that the graph is neat and legible.