1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graphing a quantitatively accurate v vs. t

1. Jan 8, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    While Cruising along a dark stretch of highway with the cruise control set at 25 m/s, you see, at the fringes of your headlights, that a bridge has been washed out. You apply the brakes and come to a stop in 4.0s. Assume the clock starts the instant you hit the brakes

2. Relevant equations
    1. Construct a qualitative graphical representations of the situation described above to illustrate:
    A. x vs. t
    B. v vs. t
    C. a vs. t

2. Construct a quantitatively accurate v vs t graph to describe the situation.
    3. On a v vs t graph, graphically represent the car's displacement during braking.
    4. Utilizing the graphical representation, determine how far the car traveled during braking. (Please explain the problem solving method)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I got the first question right but thats as far as i could get....

Since the initial position is 25m and it comes to a stop at 4.0s would the accurate v vs t graph have a slope of 6.25? (dividing 25 (rise) by 4 (run) )

Last edited: Jan 8, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2008 #2

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

What would the slope represent in a v-t graph?

4. Jan 8, 2008 #3
    The next question, sorry I didn't write the whole thing, but it explains the next a vs t graph and i already solved this I don't know why i couldn't answer this, probably because it was 4 in the morning. Thanks anyway

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?