Graphing Equations Homework: Identifying Graph to Formula

• Thread starter 3301
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graphing
In summary, the conversation is about identifying a graph to a corresponding formula. The problem involves finding the zero of the equation ##4\sqrt{x-2}-6## and determining if the graph shown is correct. The correct answer is A, but there is some confusion about the placement of numbers on the y axis.

Homework Statement

So I have to do one simple task to identify graph to corresponding formula. I don't know if software is wrong or my approach.

Homework Equations

y =4√x-2 -6[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

Found zero at x = 2 and when x=6 then y=2 and graph is not showing that. Something I missed? Look at picture. The correct answer is A.
12.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Just to be sure, you are looking at ##4\sqrt{x-2}-6##?
That does not have a zero at x=2.

-6 is not in the sqrt

3301 said:

Homework Statement

So I have to do one simple task to identify graph to corresponding formula. I don't know if software is wrong or my approach.

Homework Equations

y =4√x-2 -6[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

Found zero at x = 2

No, that is wrong. Solve the equation ##0=4\sqrt{x-2}-6##
3301 said:
and when x=6 then y=2 and graph is not showing that. Something I missed? Look at picture. The correct answer is A.
View attachment 95172

On the y axis, the numbers are above the scales. So the first scale is 2. y=2 at x=6 in figure A.

So the zero should be around 4.25, right?

Ok I got it. It was mine and graphs fault.

Rather than solve an equation I would just notice that f(0) is not a real number and f(2)= -6, not -8. None of the given graphs is correct.

HallsofIvy said:
Rather than solve an equation I would just notice that f(0) is not a real number and f(2)= -6, not -8. None of the given graphs is correct.

I think graph A is correct, the numbers are just placed in a strange way on the y axis.

LogarithmLuke said:
I think graph A is correct, the numbers are just placed in a strange way on the y axis.
Yes, the numbers are shifted one scale. It should look as in the figure.
upload_2016-5-23_6-45-16.png

Related to Graphing Equations Homework: Identifying Graph to Formula

1. What is the purpose of graphing equations?

Graphing equations allows us to visually represent mathematical relationships and patterns. This helps us better understand the behavior of the equation and make predictions about its values.

2. How do I identify the graph of a specific formula?

To identify the graph of a formula, you can use the slope-intercept form (y=mx+b) to determine the slope and y-intercept. The slope represents the rate of change and the y-intercept represents the starting point. Then, plot these values on a graph and connect the points to create a line or curve, depending on the type of equation.

3. What does it mean if a graph is a straight line?

If a graph is a straight line, it means that the equation follows a linear pattern, where the dependent variable (y) changes at a constant rate for every unit change in the independent variable (x). The slope of the line represents this constant rate of change.

4. How can I use a graph to find the solution to an equation?

A graph can help us find the solution to an equation by showing us where the x and y values intersect. The point of intersection represents the solution, as it is the common value for both the x and y variables in the equation.

5. Can a graph have more than one solution?

Yes, a graph can have more than one solution. This means that there can be more than one point of intersection between the line or curve of the graph and the x- and y-axes. In this case, the equation has multiple values that satisfy it.