1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graphing Exponential Functions

1. Jul 3, 2011 #1
    I can't seem to understand the procedure, can anyone post any links to a useful tutorial? I took it this year and it was the only thing I didn't understand, 3 questions about it came in my maths final and I got an 82 (I got everything else right but I made a small calculation mistake in a question involving trig in space), and since I plan on taking AP calculus next year I want to understand the concept.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 3, 2011 #2

gb7nash

Homework Helper

There's a limited amount you can do by hand. The most important part of graphing something like y = a^x (a>1) is to notice that:

1) It's monotone increasing
    2) It has a horizontal asymptote at y = 0 as x approaches -inf
    3) A y-intercept of y = 1
    4) The graph gradually gets steeper the farther right you go.
    5) The "steepness" depends on a. Larger a means that graph approaches infinity much faster

As far as wanting more detail than this, pick easy values to calculate. e.g.

y = 2^x

x y
    1 2
    2 4
    3 8
    4 16

If a is not an integer, just plug in a few values in your calculator and graph it that way.

edit: fixed bullet 3

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  4. Jul 6, 2011 #3
    Thank you for the help, I now have a better understanding of the concept and I will solve some exercises to perfect my technique.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook