Graphing Kinetic Energy over time

In summary, the individual attempted to use equations of motion and substitute them into the kinetic energy equation to calculate the kinetic energy gain over time for an object in freefall. However, they initially made a mistake by differentiating the velocity equation before putting it into the kinetic energy equation. The correct relationship between kinetic energy and time is given by KE = 1/2 ma^2t^2, which increases quadratically in time due to the constant acceleration. This is only valid for before the object hits the ground.
Shaybay92
If an object is in freefall (or in my case traveling down a hill without friction) then what function could you use to calculate the kinetic energy gain over time?

I have attempted to use equations of motion and substitute them into the kinetic energy equation:

KE = 1/2 mv^2
KE = 1/2 m(4.905t^2)^2
and then differentiate with respect to t in order to have a function that describes kinetic energy over time. This doesn't seem to work. I actually differentiated my v = ut + 1/2at^2 before I put it into the KE equation and got the right answer, but differentiating BEFORE I put it into the kinetic energy equation seems wrong? I want kinetic energy over time so therefore I should differentiate the KE equation with respect to t. This gives me:

KE = 1/2 m(4.905^2)*t^3 which is obviously incorrect because kinetic energy is not represented by a cubic function, and gives me entirely wrong answers. It doesn't make sense.

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]KE=\frac{1}{2}mv^2[/tex]

[tex]v=at[/tex]

V is NOT .5at^2, that's displacement (or y).
Therefore:

[tex]KE=\frac{ma^2}{2}t^2[/tex]

That would be the relation between kinetic energy and time. As time goes by, v increases linearly as t since the acceleration is constant. Therefore, the kinetic energy increases quadratically in t since it increases quadratically in v.

This is only valid for before the object hits the ground of course (and for distances not too far above the Earth's surface)

Oh my goodness I can't believe I made such a silly mistake as 'not remembering my equations of motion'. The whole point of me doing this graph was to prove that I know how to use the equations! Thankyou so much for pointing out how oblivious I was, and consequently saving me from several hours of additional frustration!

1. How do you graph kinetic energy over time?

To graph kinetic energy over time, you will need to plot the time (independent variable) on the x-axis and the kinetic energy (dependent variable) on the y-axis. You can then plot the data points and connect them with a line to show the relationship between time and kinetic energy.

2. What does a graph of kinetic energy over time show?

A graph of kinetic energy over time shows the change in the amount of kinetic energy an object has over a period of time. It can also show the rate at which the kinetic energy is changing.

3. How does kinetic energy change over time?

Kinetic energy can change over time due to changes in an object's speed or mass. An increase in speed or mass will lead to an increase in kinetic energy, while a decrease in speed or mass will result in a decrease in kinetic energy.

4. What is the relationship between kinetic energy and time?

The relationship between kinetic energy and time is directly proportional. This means that as time increases, the amount of kinetic energy also increases. Similarly, as time decreases, the amount of kinetic energy also decreases.

5. How can a graph of kinetic energy over time be used to analyze motion?

A graph of kinetic energy over time can be used to analyze motion by showing the changes in an object's speed and kinetic energy over time. It can also be used to calculate the average kinetic energy and acceleration of an object during a specific time interval.