Graphing Motion problem (motion in a straight line)

In summary, Karen travels 500m from her home to school in a straight line. She starts at rest and accelerates towards school at 2.0 m/s2 for 10 seconds. Then she travels at constant speed for 5 seconds before slamming on the brakes and coming to a stop in 4 seconds. She then reverses and accelerates at 5 m/s2 for 3 seconds, travels at constant speed for 4 seconds, and then slows down at constant acceleration to stop back at home. After spending 20 seconds at home, she accelerates at 8 m/s2 for 3 seconds before traveling to within 50m of the school and slowing down at constant acceleration until she stops. The x
marienmn

Homework Statement

Karen lives 500 m from school travels to school in straight line.

Starts out at time zero at rest and accelereates towards school with an acceleration of 2.0 m/s2 for 10 seconds. she then travels at constant speed for 5 seconds.

she then slams on the brakes, coming to stop in 4 seconds.

she throws her car in reverse accelereating back home at 5 m/s2 for 3 seconds and then traveling at constant speed for 4 seconds. and then slowing at constant acceleration to stop back at home

she spends 20 seconds at home

then she accelerates at 8 m/s2 for 3 seconds then travels to within 50 m of the school (which is 450 m) and slows to a stop at constant acceleration.

QUESTION: Draw careful x-t,v-t and a-t graphs with all value calculated.

2. The attempt at a solution

I've attached an excel document of my attempt at it. I basically recored the time known as well as its position/velocity/ or accel that was given in the problem. I don't really know how to fil in the blanks tho, and I'm not even sure if my timings are right.

i also drew out the scenerio too but i can't scan it in.

Attachments

• graphing motion lab.xls
    13.5 KB · Views: 242
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
so i figured the first part out i don't need help with that but now i can't figure this out:

marienmn said:
she throws her car in reverse accelereating back home at 5 m/s2 for 3 seconds and then traveling at constant speed for 4 seconds. and then slowing at constant acceleration to stop back at home

so i figured out that when she accelerates back home at 5m/s2 for 3 seconds she travels 22.5m at the end of those 3 seconds. then for the 4 seconds she travels at constant velocity that would be another 60m traveled, am i right? so in total it's 82.5m traveled which leaves for her another 157.5m to get back home. so I'm having problems with the "then slowing at constant acceleration to stop back at home," what formula would i use to find the time it takes for her to reach back home?

guys don't bother solvin this i kinda figured it out thanks tho

1. What is "motion in a straight line"?

"Motion in a straight line" is a term used to describe the movement of an object in a single direction without any change in direction. It is also referred to as one-dimensional motion.

2. How do you graph motion in a straight line?

To graph motion in a straight line, you will need to plot the position of the object on the y-axis and time on the x-axis. This will create a graph known as a position-time graph, where the slope of the line represents the object's velocity.

3. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed refers to the rate at which an object is moving, while velocity is the rate at which an object is changing its position in a specific direction. In other words, velocity includes both the speed and direction of an object's motion.

4. How can you determine the acceleration of an object from a position-time graph?

The acceleration of an object can be determined by calculating the slope of the line on a position-time graph. The steeper the slope, the greater the acceleration of the object.

5. What is the equation for calculating velocity?

The equation for calculating velocity is v = d/t, where v represents velocity, d represents distance, and t represents time. This equation is used for objects that are moving at a constant speed in a straight line.