Gravitation vertical mine shaft question

In summary, the homework statement states that, at the bottom of a vertical mine shaft dug to depth D, the measured value of g will be g = g_{s}\left(1-\frac{D}{R}\right)
homomorphism

Homework Statement

Show that, at the bottom of a vertical mine shaft dug to depth D, the measured value of [tex]g[/tex] will be

[tex]g = g_{s}\left(1-\frac{D}{R}\right)[/tex][tex]g_{s}[/tex] being the surface value. Assume that the Earth is a uniform sphere of radius [tex]R[/tex].

Homework Equations

[tex]F = \frac{GMm}{r^{2}}[/tex]

[tex]V_{S} = \frac{4}{3}\pi r^{3}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought you could just plug in [tex](R-D)[/tex] in the force equation but when I looked at the solution they did something with a ratio of masses that looked like this:

[tex]\frac{M(r)}{\frac{4}{3}\pi r^{3}} = \frac{M}{\frac{4}{3}\pi R^{3}}[/tex]

where [tex]M[/tex] is the total mass.

Then the solution went on to this:

[tex]F = \frac{GM_{E}m}{r^{2}}\left(\frac{\frac{4}{3}\pi r^{3}}{\frac{4}{3}\pi R^{3}}\right)[/tex]

I don't really understand these last two steps. Can someone please explain what is happening here, and why are they doing a ratio of masses (related by density) and then multiplying by this ratio?

Physics news on Phys.org
Right, they are figuring out what part of the Earth contributes to the gravity because as you can imagine, if you are a distance D in a mine shaft, the mass of the ground above you is not going to attract you towards the center of the Earth while the ground below you will. So they used a volume ratio to represent the mass of the Earth still "below" you aka between you and the center

homomorphism said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought you could just plug in [tex](R-D)[/tex] in the force equation

Unfortunately, it's not quite that simple, since that equation expresses the force outside a sphere of mass M and radius R.

What the solution is doing, which crytoguy is saying in another way, is to compare the gravitational acceleration, g_s, at the Earth's surface, to a faked-up planet which has the same average density of Earth, but is smaller in radius by an amount D.

The value for Earth's surface gravity is [tex]g_s = \frac{GM}{R^2} [/tex]; you can use a similar equation for the alternative planet's surface gravity, [tex]g = \frac{GM(r)}{(R-D)^2} [/tex], with r = R - D (I am referring to the solution's manual's notation in part of this).

Putting these pieces together will lead to the desired equation.

1. What is a gravitation vertical mine shaft?

A gravitation vertical mine shaft is a type of vertical mine shaft that is used to extract minerals or ores from the ground. It uses the force of gravity to move materials from the surface to underground levels.

2. How does gravitation affect the movement of materials in a vertical mine shaft?

Gravitation is the natural force that pulls objects towards the center of the Earth. In a vertical mine shaft, this force is used to move materials from the surface to underground levels. The heavier materials will move faster due to their greater mass, while lighter materials will move slower.

3. What factors can affect the efficiency of a gravitation vertical mine shaft?

The efficiency of a gravitation vertical mine shaft can be affected by several factors, such as the angle of the shaft, the weight and size of the materials being transported, and the condition of the shaft and its components. Environmental factors such as temperature and humidity can also play a role.

4. How is safety ensured in a gravitation vertical mine shaft?

Safety in a gravitation vertical mine shaft is ensured through regular maintenance and inspection of the shaft and its components, as well as proper training and supervision of workers. Safety protocols and regulations are also in place to prevent accidents and ensure the well-being of workers.

5. What are the advantages of using a gravitation vertical mine shaft?

The use of a gravitation vertical mine shaft offers several advantages, including lower operating costs, as it relies on natural forces rather than expensive equipment. It also has a smaller environmental impact compared to other mining methods and can be used in various types of terrain. Additionally, it allows for the efficient transport of materials from underground levels to the surface.