1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravitational Potential Due to a Thin Rod of Varying Density.

1. Feb 27, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

GRAVITATIONAL POTENTIAL AND FIELD DUE TO A “THIN” ROD
    A thin rod of length L lies along the +y-axis, with one end at the
    origin (see diagram).
    Assume:
    • The rod has length only- no thickness in other directions.
    • The density of the rod increases proportionally to the
    y-coordinate: λ = ky, where k is a known constant and λ is in
    kg/m
    • Gravitational potential is zero at infinity: φ (∞) = 0

a) Find the gravitational potential φ ( x) at a point (x,0) by direct integration.
    b) Find the gravitational field g at a point (x,0) by direct integration.

2. Relevant equations

dφ = -(G dm)/r

3. The attempt at a solution

Still stuck on part a, so that's really the brunt of my question for now (though assistance with part b is more than welcome!).

Using the given density function to solve for dm and substituting √(x^2+y^2) for r, I have an expression for dφ:

dφ = -(Gk y dy)/√(x^2+y^2)

...but I have no idea how to manipulate this to get a soluble integral :( I've been messing around with partial derivatives and polar coordinates for hours, but nothing seems to work.
    PLEASE HELP!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2012 #2
    Ah, I think I may have figured it out... x isn't actually changing here, so my attempts to relate it to y were completely unnecessary? The answer then (I think) would be:
    φ(x) = --Gk[√(x^2+L^2) - x] .

Part b has me a bit stumped though.... help would be lovely.

4. Feb 27, 2012 #3
    Alrighty, figured that bit out on my own as well... polar coordinates work out nicely.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook