Gravitational Potential inside a mass

In summary, the potential inside a mass is dependent on the distance from the center and the density of the mass.
Knightycloud
I got an exam tomorrow and while i was studying, this popped in.
Is there a gravitational potential inside a mass (eg : 500 km deep from the Earth surface)?

We can calculate the Gravitational field intensity inside a mass by taking the distance from the center to that inner-point as x and calculating the mass within that radius; then taking that calculated mass into the G.I = -GM/x2

Can we do the same thing to calculate the potential? I googled and those graphs showed a similar behavior, we get as the potential inside a conductive sphere. Why can't us calculate it like that above method? I only understand GCE A/L by the way.

Physics news on Phys.org
Knightycloud said:
Is there a gravitational potential inside a mass (eg : 500 km deep from the Earth surface)?
Of course.

Can we do the same thing to calculate the potential?
No.

Consider a uniform density sphere. Use [itex]\Phi(r) = -GM(r)/r[/itex] and take the gradient. This should yield the additive inverse of the force since [itex]\vec F(\vec r) = -\nabla \Phi(\vec r)[/itex]. However, since [itex]M(r)=4/3\pi \rho r^3[/itex] for a uniform density sphere, this Φ(r) yields [itex]F=+8/3\pi G \rho r \hat r[/itex]. The sign is wrong and the magnitude is twice as large as it should be. The potential must yield [itex]F=-\partial \Phi(r)/\partial r = -4/3\pi G \rho r \hat r[/itex].

Likes 1 person
Potentials are not uniquely defined - you can always add a constant. That is fine if you just consider a single potential, but it ruins the approach to combine the potential for each depth in that way.

You can calculate the force, and based on this force you can calculate the potential - that approach works.

Likes 1 person
mfb said:
You can calculate the force, and based on this force you can calculate the potential - that approach works.
That makes sense. Because my level of knowledge is limited to the basic principles and i haven't used δf(x)/δx applications any where and that describes how few I know about this topic. :/

Thanks a lot for the support people.

Yes, it is possible to calculate the gravitational potential inside a mass using the same method as calculating the gravitational field intensity. This is because the potential is directly related to the field intensity through the equation V = -GM/r, where V is the potential, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass, and r is the distance from the center of the mass.

However, it is important to note that the potential inside a mass would not be constant, as it would vary depending on the distance from the center. This is due to the fact that the mass is distributed throughout the volume of the object, and the potential would decrease as you move closer to the center.

In addition, the potential inside a conductive sphere may appear similar to the potential inside a mass due to the fact that both are spherically symmetric. However, the potential inside a conductive sphere is due to the distribution of charges, while the potential inside a mass is due to the distribution of mass.

I hope this helps clarify your understanding. Good luck on your exam tomorrow!

1. What is gravitational potential inside a mass?

Gravitational potential inside a mass refers to the amount of potential energy that an object possesses due to its position in a gravitational field created by a massive body.

2. How is gravitational potential inside a mass measured?

The gravitational potential inside a mass is measured using a formula that takes into account the mass of the object, the distance from the center of the mass, and the strength of the gravitational field.

3. How does gravitational potential inside a mass affect objects?

The gravitational potential inside a mass affects objects by exerting a force on them, causing them to either accelerate towards or away from the center of the mass, depending on their position and the direction of the gravitational field.

4. Can gravitational potential inside a mass vary in different locations?

Yes, the gravitational potential inside a mass can vary in different locations depending on the distribution of mass within the object and the distance from the center of mass.

5. What is the relationship between gravitational potential inside a mass and its escape velocity?

The gravitational potential inside a mass is directly related to its escape velocity. The greater the gravitational potential, the higher the escape velocity needed for an object to break free from the gravitational field.