Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravity, action and an equal and opposite reaction

1. Mar 20, 2008 #1
    hi all
    for whatever reason in the last 5 years I've become fasinated with math I have
    absolutely no formal training at all I am teaching myself algebra at the moment and
    hope I can progress eventually into physics

Now for my question (no laughing please)

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction

if this law is true and gravity is the action
    what is the opposite reaction I'm not thinking
    like drop a ball and it bounces back up, but that
    were in orbit around the sun because of gravational pull
    what is the opposite reaction that stops us from being
    pulled all the to the sun

no laughing

thanks

lneilson

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2008 #2
    Well in fact, as ridiculous and beautiful as it sounds, the earth pulls ever so slightly back on the sun and even your body pulls back on the earth. Given the huge mass differences however, it goes for the most part unnoticed.

I may have misunderstood the last part of your question, but I believe you asked what keeps us from being pulled into the sun. The earth is moving at a certain speed around the sun. Think of the earth as "falling around" the sun, such that by the time the earth would have been pulled directly and landed on the surface of the sun, it has moved enough forward to avoid contact. This is what gives the effect of circular orbit.

4. Mar 20, 2008 #3
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?