Gravity and human population, Solved?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between physics and gravity, specifically in regards to the Earth and the Moon. The original question asks if the increase in human population and mass could indirectly affect the gravitational force between the Earth and Moon, causing the Moon to move closer to the Earth. However, it is noted that the Moon is actually moving away from the Earth at a rate of 3.8 cm per year. The conversation also touches on the reliability of Wikipedia as a source of information and the political biases that may exist on the site.
David Prince
The next questions will be in english and spanish, since my birth language is spanish I may be mistaken in a few english words.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spanish

Debo advertir que no soy ningún experto en la materia y que no soy muy conocedor sobre física ni gravedad pero he tenido esta duda desde hace un par de días y considere que este seria un buen lugar en donde hacer mis preguntas.

He estado leyendo sobre la teoría de Einstein y sobre la teoría de Hawking y algo que he notado respecto a la unión entre la física y la gravedad es que en la física la materia siempre ha tenido que ver en el asunto de la gravedad, por lo tanto mi pregunta es la siguiente:

¿Ha habido algún registro de que la Luna se haya acerado algunos centímetros o metros mas hacia la tierra en los últimos 500 años, teniendo en cuenta de que la cantidad de personas en la tierra a aumentado dramáticamente, la masa de todas estas personas podría afectar indirectamente junto con la masa de la tierra la gravedad de la misma, haciendo que la fuerza gravitacional sea mas grande atrayendo a la Luna mas hacia la tierra?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
English

I must warn that I am not an expert on the subject and that I am not very knowledgeable about physics or gravity but I have had this question for a couple of days and I think that this would be a good place to ask my questions.

I've been reading about Einstein's theory and the Hawking theory and something I've noticed about the connection between physics and gravity is that in physics matter has always had to do with the matter of gravity, so So much my question is this:

Has there been any record that the Moon has stamped a few centimeters or more meters towards the Earth in the last 500 years, considering that the number of people on the Earth has increased dramatically, the mass of all these people could affect indirectly together with the Earth's mass the gravity of it, causing the gravitational force to be bigger, attracting the Moon more towards the earth?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The Moon is slowly moving away from Earth. a few centimeters each year.
This is not a theory it is an observation.

First of all, where do you think the mass for the human population comes from? Beside that, the mass of incoming material like meteorites is such a small portion, that it doesn't have any effect, and the moon is hit as well. However, the distance between Earth and moon is changing, but in the other direction. The distance is increasing by 3.8 cm per year, but this has nothing to do with a change of masses.

rootone said:
The Moon is slowly moving away from Earth. a few centimeters each year.
This is not a theory it is an observation.
Oh okay, thanks for awnsering me so fast, was a doubt I had and there is no website that could solve my doubt.

fresh_42 said:
First of all, where do you think the mass for the human population comes from? Beside that, the mass of incoming material like meteorites is such a small portion, that it doesn't have any effect, and the moon is hit as well. However, the distance between Earth and moon is changing, but in the other direction. The distance is increasing by 3.8 cm per year, but this has nothing to do with a change of masses.
N
fresh_42 said:
I'm from Venezuela, Wikipedia its blocked in my country

David Prince said:
N

I'm from Venezuela, Wikipedia its blocked in my country
That is strange, in most countries Wiki is not considered to be reliable, but generally is considered to be factual.
Well it is as far as mainstream science goes, but sure don't take any UFOs and aliens articles seriously

Interesting to hear. I never saw Wikipedia as a political biased site, probably because I mainly use it as a lexicon for mathematics and natural sciences which are far from being political.

rootone said:
That is strange, in most countries Wiki is not considered to be reliable, but generally is considered to be factual.
Well it is as far as mainstream science goes, but sure don't take any UFOs and aliens articles seriously
Yeah it sucks, that is why I'm asking in this forum

fresh_42 said:
Interesting to hear. I never saw Wikipedia as a political biased site, probably because I mainly use it as a lexicon for mathematics and natural sciences which are far from being political.
Yeah it sucks, it happen like a few months ago with the change but anyway, thanks for the response!

rootone said:
That's true. If you want to look up the portion of an element in the Earth's crust or what a topology is, then it is reliable. You just can't learn topology from it.

David Prince said:
Yeah it sucks, that is why I'm asking in this forum
You're welcome! Btw., we also have a pretty good homework section - just in case!

Likes David Prince
As indicated, the mass of all humans comes from Earth and does not change the overall mass of Earth. It is unclear if we gain more mass from asteroids or lose more mass from gases escaping to space, but both have an unmeasurably small effect on the overall mass.

To give some idea of the scales involved, all in billion tonnes:
Mass of stuff hitting Earth from stuff per year: 0.000,04 to 0.000,07
Mass of gas escaping Earth per year: 0.000,05 to 0.000,10
Mass of all humans: ~0.3 (currently increasing by ~0.004 per year)
Mass of all living things on Earth: A few thousand (with a big uncertainty)
Mass of Earth: 5,970,000,000,000

rootone said:
fresh_42 said:
The political situation in Venezuela is ... special. Wikipedia being factual is the reason it is blocked.

Likes Stavros Kiri, pinball1970 and David Prince
David Prince said:
The next questions will be in english and spanish, since my birth language is spanish I may be mistaken in a few english words.
However keep in mind that PF rules allow only English here.
David Prince said:
Has there been any record that the Moon has stamped a few centimeters or more meters towards the Earth in the last 500 years, considering that the number of people on the Earth has increased dramatically, the mass of all these people could affect indirectly together with the Earth's mass the gravity of it, causing the gravitational force to be bigger, attracting the Moon more towards the earth?
The moon actually recedes away from the Earth at a slow rate (as already mentioned by other replies above). E.g.
fresh_42 said:
However, the distance between Earth and moon is changing, but in the other direction. The distance is increasing by 3.8 cm per year, but this has nothing to do with a change of masses.
The phenomenon is called "Recession of the moon" and/or/related "Tidal acceletation".

Note: Welcome to PF

Likes David Prince

What is gravity and how does it affect human population?

Gravity is a natural phenomenon by which all objects with mass are brought towards one another. It is the force that keeps planets in orbit around the sun and causes objects to fall towards the ground. Gravity plays a crucial role in the existence and development of human population on Earth by keeping our planet in a stable orbit and providing the necessary conditions for life to thrive.

How has human population growth affected gravity?

The growth of human population has not directly affected gravity. However, the increasing mass of humans and their activities, such as construction and land use changes, can have an indirect impact on the Earth's gravitational pull. For example, the melting of glaciers due to climate change can redistribute mass and alter the Earth's gravitational field.

Is there a limit to how much the Earth's population can grow based on gravity?

There is no known limit to how much the Earth's population can grow based on gravity. As long as we continue to live within the Earth's carrying capacity, which is the maximum population that can be sustained by Earth's resources, there should be no significant impact on gravity. However, if we exceed the carrying capacity, it could lead to negative consequences for both human population and the planet's gravitational balance.

Can gravity affect population distribution and migration?

Yes, gravity can affect population distribution and migration. People tend to settle in areas with more favorable living conditions, such as access to resources and economic opportunities. These conditions are often influenced by gravity, as areas with steeper terrain may have fewer resources and less economic development compared to flatter areas. Additionally, gravity also plays a role in transportation and communication networks, which can impact migration patterns.

How does the study of gravity and human population help address global issues?

Studying the relationship between gravity and human population can provide insights into how human activities and population growth can affect the Earth's overall gravitational balance. This understanding can inform decision-making and policies to mitigate negative impacts on the environment and ensure the sustainable development of human population. Additionally, research on gravity and population can also help us better predict and prepare for potential future challenges, such as climate change and natural disasters.