1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Gravity and radiation from charge

1. May 11, 2018 #1
    Reading a thread in relativity I would like to know more precisely about radiation from charge.

I put a charge on the table of my house. Gravity and table reaction force work on the charge.
    They cancel so net force does not work on the charge, thus no-force no-velocity cause no radiation. Am I right ?
    A charge is put on the Earth that rotates around the Sun. Does synchrotron radiation by rotation motion take place ? Does it takes place but in non measurable tiny amount ?
    Say a charge is free falling attracted by gravity of an electrically neutral planet, radiation takes place from a charge due to acceleration motion. But in co-moving local frame of reference with the charge, nothing particular including radiation would take place. How do we conciliate these views?

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2018 #2

Dale

Staff: Mentor

You simply recognize that radiation is frame dependent. What is invariant is not whether or not there is radiation, but whether or not a given detector detects a fluctuating voltage/current.

4. May 11, 2018 #3
    I have thought something running with speed c, radiated electromagnetic wave, is commonly recognized to all the frames. I will do practice with your teaching. Thanks.

5. May 11, 2018 #4

Dale

Staff: Mentor

All inertial frames, yes. Not non inertial frames.

6. May 11, 2018 #5

atyy

Science Advisor

7. May 17, 2018 at 9:51 PM #6
    Thanks for your teaching. I will read PDF to get it.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted