Gravity and radiation from charge

In summary, the discussion focuses on the concept of radiation from a charge and its relation to different frames of reference. It is stated that in a stationary frame, a charge does not produce radiation due to the cancellation of forces, but in a rotating frame, synchrotron radiation can occur. The concept of the equivalence principle is also mentioned, with the understanding that radiation is frame-dependent. The discussion suggests further reading for a deeper understanding of this topic.
sweet springs
Reading a thread in relativity I would like to know more precisely about radiation from charge.

I put a charge on the table of my house. Gravity and table reaction force work on the charge.
They cancel so net force does not work on the charge, thus no-force no-velocity cause no radiation. Am I right ?
A charge is put on the Earth that rotates around the Sun. Does synchrotron radiation by rotation motion take place ? Does it takes place but in non measurable tiny amount ?
Say a charge is free falling attracted by gravity of an electrically neutral planet, radiation takes place from a charge due to acceleration motion. But in co-moving local frame of reference with the charge, nothing particular including radiation would take place. How do we conciliate these views?

Physics news on Phys.org
sweet springs said:
How do we conciliate these views?
You simply recognize that radiation is frame dependent. What is invariant is not whether or not there is radiation, but whether or not a given detector detects a fluctuating voltage/current.

Likes sweet springs
I have thought something running with speed c, radiated electromagnetic wave, is commonly recognized to all the frames. I will do practice with your teaching. Thanks.

sweet springs said:
I have thought something running with speed c, radiated electromagnetic wave, is commonly recognized to all the frames.
All inertial frames, yes. Not non inertial frames.

Thanks for your teaching. I will read PDF to get it.

1. What is the relationship between gravity and radiation from charge?

The relationship between gravity and radiation from charge is that they are both fundamental forces in the universe. Gravity is the force that attracts objects with mass towards each other, while radiation from charge is the force that causes charged particles to exert a force on each other. Both of these forces play important roles in shaping the structure of the universe.

2. How does charge affect the strength of gravity?

Charge does not directly affect the strength of gravity. However, charged particles can generate gravitational fields, which can interact with other charged particles to produce electromagnetic radiation. This radiation can then affect the motion and behavior of charged particles, creating a complex interplay between gravity and radiation from charge.

3. Can gravity and radiation from charge be unified into a single theory?

Currently, there is no unified theory that fully explains the relationship between gravity and radiation from charge. The most widely accepted theory, known as general relativity, describes gravity as the curvature of spacetime caused by mass and energy. However, this theory does not account for the behavior of particles at the quantum level, where radiation from charge plays a significant role.

4. How does the presence of charge affect the behavior of gravity in a black hole?

In a black hole, the intense gravitational pull is so strong that it can pull in and trap even light. However, the presence of charge can affect this behavior. Charged black holes, also known as Reissner-Nordström black holes, have an additional repulsive force that counteracts the pull of gravity. This can result in a stable equilibrium where particles can orbit around the black hole without falling in.

5. Can gravity and radiation from charge be used to create new technology or applications?

While our understanding of gravity and radiation from charge has led to many technological advancements, such as the development of GPS systems and medical imaging, there are currently no known practical applications that directly utilize both forces. However, ongoing research and advancements in our understanding of these forces may lead to new technologies in the future.