1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravity car/module/contraption thingy

1. Feb 28, 2012 #1
    For physics we have to come up with a module that works just on gravity. We're racing them, so aerodynamics are a major concern. I know it should be dense, mass packed close to the center of mass, but I don't know if I should use wheels, or cylinders, or where to go from the basics :/ any ideas on what would be the fastest, most aerodynamic gravity contraption to roll down an incline?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2012 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Do some experiments: Take a toy car roll it down a hill. Take a can of beans and roll it down a hill. which one rolls straighter. Add some weight to the car...

Keep in mind you want to keep friction to a minimum. Is the road surface bumpy then maybe wheels will work better (less contact on the road than a cylinder).

Checkout soapbox derby designs. Oh and lest I forget to mention: do some experiments.

4. Feb 28, 2012 #3
    The plane is just a regular piece of plywood, fairly smooth! Thank you!

5. Feb 29, 2012 #4

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

so now look at the front of your module, if its a cylinder then it looks like a rectangle coming toward you. Next look at a car coming toward which presents less area? so now which is better wheels or cylinder?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook