Gravity for a point inside the earth

In summary: Thus, the total force on the point is the sum of the forces from all the little patches. In summary, the point is inside a sphere, and the force of gravity is calculated by integrating the force per unit mass from a uniformly massed ball of mass at the point's location.
loup
Assume the Earth is a perfect sphere,

How do we calculate that a point inside the Earth's gravity it experienced?

I know about the formula which is taught in high school. I just cannot understand how it is proved. I know it is related to the integration. Can anybody give some hints to me about how to do the integration?

I am so puzzled.

Physics news on Phys.org
loup said:
I know about the formula which is taught in high school.
What formula are you thinking of?

You might want to look up Newton's Shell theorems, which deal with this.

loup said:
Assume the Earth is a perfect sphere,

How do we calculate that a point inside the Earth's gravity it experienced?

I know about the formula which is taught in high school. I just cannot understand how it is proved. I know it is related to the integration. Can anybody give some hints to me about how to do the integration?

I am so puzzled.

You can do this the hard way, by setting up an integral and derive the answers.

This is a more primitive technique than utilizing Newton's shell theorem directly.

I'll help you along a bit with your integration:

Let your point, as measured from the centre of the Earth have position vector [tex]\vec{r}_{0}=z_{0}\vec{k}[/tex]

The force [itex]\vec{f}_{0}[/itex] per unit mass located at [itex]\vec{r}_{0}[/itex] as acted upon by a uniformly massed ball of radius R and density [itex]\rho[/itex] is given by the integral:
[tex]\vec{f}_{0}=\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{0}^{\pi}\int_{0}^{R}\frac{G\rho(\vec{r}-\vec{r}_{0})}{||\vec{r}-\vec{r}_{0}||^{3}}r^{2}\sin\phi{dr}d\phi{d}\theta, \vec{r}=r(\sin\phi\cos\theta\vec{i}+\sin\phi\sin\theta\vec{j}+\cos\phi\vec{k})[/tex]

From this, you should first verify that the force is zero in the i and j-directions, before proceeding further!

arildno said:

Let your point, as measured from the centre of the Earth have position vector [tex]\vec{r}_{0}=z_{0}\vec{k}[/tex]

The force [itex]\vec{f}_{0}[/itex] per unit mass located at [itex]\vec{r}_{0}[/itex] as acted upon by a uniformly massed ball of radius R and density [itex]\rho[/itex] is given by the integral:
[tex]\vec{f}_{0}=\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{0}^{\pi}\int_{0}^{R}\frac{G\rho(\vec{r}-\vec{r}_{0})}{||\vec{r}-\vec{r}_{0}||^{3}}r^{2}\sin\phi{dr}d\phi{d}\theta, \vec{r}=r(\sin\phi\cos\theta\vec{i}+\sin\phi\sin\theta\vec{j}+\cos\phi\vec{k})[/tex]

From this, you should first verify that the force is zero in the i and j-directions, before proceeding further!

I am sorry. I just don't know what exactly you are talking about. Can you explain more about what you are doing?

Okay, let us take this step by step!

Suppose we have some mass object P located at [tex]\vec{r}_{0}[/tex], with mass m.

Let an object O fill some region R, so that location [tex]\vec{r}[/tex] within R designates a mass point of mass [tex]dM=\rho{dV}[/tex], where [itex]\rho[/itex] is the local density.

Thus, we have that the force from O upon P must be given by:
[tex]\vec{F}_{0}=-\int_{R}\frac{GmdM}{||\vec{r}_{0}-\vec{r}||^{2}}\vec{i}{r},\vec{i}{r}=\frac{\vec{r}_{0}-\vec{r}}{||\vec{r}_{0}-\vec{r}||}[/tex]

Thus, this may be rewritten as:
[tex]\vec{f}_{0}=\frac{\vec{F}_{0}}{m}=\int_{R}\frac{G\rho(\vec{r}-\vec{r}_{0})}{||\vec{r}_{0}-\vec{r}||^{3}}dV[/tex]

Do you agree to this?

Now, let R be a ball, let the origin be the ball's centre, so that in spherical coordinates, the points of the ball constitute the region:
[tex]0\leq{r}\leq{R},0\leq\theta\leq{2\pi},0\leq\phi\leq\pi[/tex]
Thus, the position vector, expressed by the constant Cartesian unit vectors may be written as:
[tex]\vec{r}=r(\sin\phi\cos\theta\vec{i}+\sin\phi\sin\theta\vec{j}+\cos\phi\vec{k})[/tex]

No loss of generality is made by aligning the [itex]\vec{k}[/itex]-vector along the line from the ball's centre to the mass point at [itex]\vec{r}_{0}[/itex], i.e, we get:
[tex]\vec{r}_{0}=z_0\vec{k}[/tex] for some constant z0.

Is that okay?

But if P is inside the ball. Isn't that not only the things nearer than P to the centre contributes to the gravity, but also the things outside P?

I know the things outside P will cancel each other, but how to prove the things outside P will cancel each other ?

loup said:
But if P is inside the ball. Isn't that not only the things nearer than P to the centre contributes to the gravity, but also the things outside P?

I know the things outside P will cancel each other, but how to prove the things outside P will cancel each other ?

It's very simple. Draw a thin spherical shell. Put some off-center point inside. This is the arbitrary point where we want to know the gravitational force on the point. Imagine two thin cones extending from the point to opposite areas on the shell.

The area of the shell within each cone depends upon how far it is from the point in question. The volume of matter in each patch is proportional to the area. The area is proportional to the distance squared of the patch from the shell. You should be able to convince yourself that this is so by drawing some simple diagrams. The force from each little patch of the shell is complimented be the force from the opposite patch. This is from the inverse square law. The contribuations from all the little patches is zero.

Last edited:
loup said:

You will know by performing the actual calculations!

Now, let us take the easy bits here:

In spherical coordinates, we have [tex]dV=r^{2}\sin\phi{d\theta}d\phi{dr}[/tex]

Furthermore, we have:
[tex]||\vec{r}-\vec{r}_{0}||=\sqrt{r^{2}+z_{0}^{2}-2rz_{0}\cos\phi}[/tex]
which you can readily establish, say with reference to the law of cosines, or by laborious calculation.

Thus, let us look at the i-th component of the integral.
This simply reads:
[tex]f_{0,i}=\int_{0}^{R}\int_{0}^{\pi}\int_{0}^{2\pi}\frac{G\rho{r}^{2}\sin^{2}\phi\cos\theta}{(\sqrt{r^{2}+z_{0}^{2}-2rz_{0}\cos\phi})^{3}}d\theta{d\phi}{dr}[/tex]

Assuming the density to be constant, the full [itex]\theta[/itex]-period involved in the integration implies that this becomes 0.
Similarly for the j'th component.

Agreed so far?

aridno, I agree with what you say. Thank you very much.

Okay!

Let us proceed with the component in the k-direction.
This reads, after the [itex]\theta[/itex]-integration:
[tex]f_{0,k}=2\pi\int_{0}^{R}\int_{0}^{\phi}\frac{G\rho{r}^{2}\sin\phi(r\cos\phi-z_{0})}{(r^{2}+z_{0}^{2}-2rz_{0}\cos\phi)^{\frac{3}{2}}}d\phi{d}r[/tex]

Ok?

Now, we will perform a partial integration on [itex]\phi[/itex]

Note that:
[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial\phi}(r^{2}+z_{0}^{2}-2rz_{0}\cos\phi)^{-\frac{1}{2}}=-\frac{rz_{0}\sin\phi}{(r^{2}+z_{0}^{2}-2rz_{0}\cos\phi)^{\frac{3}{2}}}[/tex]

Looks awfully similar, doesn't it?

Thus, we may rewrite our integral as:
[tex]f_{0,k}=-2\pi\int_{0}^{R}\int_{0}^{\phi}\frac{G\rho{r}(r\cos\phi-z_{0})}{z_{0}}\frac{\partial}{\partial\phi}(r^{2}+z_{0}^{2}-2rz_{0}\cos\phi)^{-\frac{1}{2}}d\phi{d}r[/tex]

Thus, partial integration yields:
[tex]f_{0,k}=-(2\pi\int_{0}^{R}(\frac{G\rho{r}(r\cos\phi-z_{0})}{z_{0}}(r^{2}+z_{0}^{2}-2rz_{0}\cos\phi)^{-\frac{1}{2}})_{\phi=0}^{\phi=\pi}dr+\int_{0}^{R}\int_{0}^{\phi}\frac{G\rho{r}^{2}\sin\phi}{z_{0}}(r^{2}+z_{0}^{2}-2rz_{0}\cos\phi)^{-\frac{1}{2}}d\phi{d}r)=[/tex]
[tex]-(2\pi\int_{0}^{R}\frac{G\rho{r}}{z_{0}}(-\frac{r+z_{0}}{|r+z_{0}|}-\frac{r-z_{0}}{|r-z_{0}|}dr+\int_{0}^{R}\int_{0}^{\phi}\frac{G\rho{r}^{2}\sin\phi}{z_{0}}(r^{2}+z_{0}^{2}-2rz_{0}\cos\phi)^{-\frac{1}{2}}d\phi{d}r)[/tex]

Last edited:
I group what Arildno's for a clearer overview

arildno said:

arildno said:
Okay, let us take this step by step!

Suppose we have some mass object P located at [tex]\vec{r}_{0}[/tex], with mass m.

Let an object O fill some region R, so that location [tex]\vec{r}[/tex] within R designates a mass point of mass [tex]dM=\rho{dV}[/tex], where [itex]\rho[/itex] is the local density.

Thus, we have that the force from O upon P must be given by:
[tex]\vec{F}_{0}=-\int_{R}\frac{GmdM}{||\vec{r}_{0}-\vec{r}||^{2}}\vec{i}{r},\vec{i}{r}=\frac{\vec{r}_{0}-\vec{r}}{||\vec{r}_{0}-\vec{r}||}[/tex]

Thus, this may be rewritten as:
[tex]\vec{f}_{0}=\frac{\vec{F}_{0}}{m}=\int_{R}\frac{G\rho(\vec{r}-\vec{r}_{0})}{||\vec{r}_{0}-\vec{r}||^{3}}dV[/tex]

Do you agree to this?

arildno said:
Now, let R be a ball, let the origin be the ball's centre, so that in spherical coordinates, the points of the ball constitute the region:
[tex]0\leq{r}\leq{R},0\leq\theta\leq{2\pi},0\leq\phi\leq\pi[/tex]
Thus, the position vector, expressed by the constant Cartesian unit vectors may be written as:
[tex]\vec{r}=r(\sin\phi\cos\theta\vec{i}+\sin\phi\sin\theta\vec{j}+\cos\phi\vec{k})[/tex]

No loss of generality is made by aligning the [itex]\vec{k}[/itex]-vector along the line from the ball's centre to the mass point at [itex]\vec{r}_{0}[/itex], i.e, we get:
[tex]\vec{r}_{0}=z_0\vec{k}[/tex] for some constant z0.

Is that okay?

arildno said:
You will know by performing the actual calculations!

Now, let us take the easy bits here:

In spherical coordinates, we have [tex]dV=r^{2}\sin\phi{d\theta}d\phi{dr}[/tex]

Furthermore, we have:
[tex]||\vec{r}-\vec{r}_{0}||=\sqrt{r^{2}+z_{0}^{2}-2rz_{0}\cos\phi}[/tex]
which you can readily establish, say with reference to the law of cosines, or by laborious calculation.

Thus, let us look at the i-th component of the integral.
This simply reads:
[tex]f_{0,i}=\int_{0}^{R}\int_{0}^{\pi}\int_{0}^{2\pi}\frac{G\rho{r}^{2}\sin^{2}\phi\cos\theta}{(\sqrt{r^{2}+z_{0}^{2}-2rz_{0}\cos\phi})^{3}}d\theta{d\phi}{dr}[/tex]

Assuming the density to be constant, the full [itex]\theta[/itex]-period involved in the integration implies that this becomes 0.
Similarly for the j'th component.

Agreed so far?

arildno said:
Okay!

Let us proceed with the component in the k-direction.
This reads, after the [itex]\theta[/itex]-integration:
[tex]f_{0,k}=2\pi\int_{0}^{R}\int_{0}^{\phi}\frac{G\rho{r}^{2}\sin\phi(r\cos\phi-z_{0})}{(r^{2}+z_{0}^{2}-2rz_{0}\cos\phi)^{\frac{3}{2}}}d\phi{d}r[/tex]

Ok?

arildno said:
Now, we will perform a partial integration on [itex]\phi[/itex]

Note that:
[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial\phi}(r^{2}+z_{0}^{2}-2rz_{0}\cos\phi)^{-\frac{1}{2}}=-\frac{rz_{0}\sin\phi}{(r^{2}+z_{0}^{2}-2rz_{0}\cos\phi)^{\frac{3}{2}}}[/tex]

Looks awfully similar, doesn't it?

Thus, we may rewrite our integral as:
[tex]f_{0,k}=-2\pi\int_{0}^{R}\int_{0}^{\phi}\frac{G\rho{r}(r\cos\phi-z_{0})}{z_{0}}\frac{\partial}{\partial\phi}(r^{2}+z_{0}^{2}-2rz_{0}\cos\phi)^{-\frac{1}{2}}d\phi{d}r[/tex]

Thus, partial integration yields:
[tex]f_{0,k}=-(2\pi\int_{0}^{R}(\frac{G\rho{r}(r\cos\phi-z_{0})}{z_{0}}(r^{2}+z_{0}^{2}-2rz_{0}\cos\phi)^{-\frac{1}{2}})_{\phi=0}^{\phi=\pi}dr+\int_{0}^{R}\int_{0}^{\phi}\frac{G\rho{r}^{2}\sin\phi}{z_{0}}(r^{2}+z_{0}^{2}-2rz_{0}\cos\phi)^{-\frac{1}{2}}d\phi{d}r)=[/tex]
[tex]-(2\pi\int_{0}^{R}\frac{G\rho{r}}{z_{0}}(-\frac{r+z_{0}}{|r+z_{0}|}-\frac{r-z_{0}}{|r-z_{0}|}dr+\int_{0}^{R}\int_{0}^{\phi}\frac{G\rho{r}^{2}\sin\phi}{z_{0}}(r^{2}+z_{0}^{2}-2rz_{0}\cos\phi)^{-\frac{1}{2}}d\phi{d}r)[/tex]

The latter integral can be evaluated as follows:
[tex]\int_{0}^{\phi}\frac{G\rho{r}}{z_{0}^{2}}rz_{0}\sin\phi(r^{2}+z_{0}^{2}-2rz_{0}\cos\phi)^{-\frac{1}{2}}d\phi=\frac{G\rho{r}}{z_{0}^{2}}(r^{2}+z_{0}^{2}-2rz_{0}\cos\phi)^{\frac{1}{2}}\mid_{\phi=0}^{\phi=\pi}=\frac{G\rho{r}}{z_{0}^{2}}(|r+z_{0}|-|r-z_{0}|)[/tex]

Thus, combining, we get:
[tex]f_{0,k}=-\frac{2\pi{G}\rho}{z_{0}}\int_{0}^{R}(-r(\frac{r+z_{0}}{|r+z_{0}|}+\frac{r-z_{0}}{|r-z_{0}})+\frac{r}{z_{0}}(|r+z_{0}|-|r-z_{0}|)dr[/tex]

Note that if z_0 is GREATER than any r between 0 and R, this yields:
[tex]f_{0,k}=-\frac{2\pi{G\rho}}{z_{0}}\int_{0}^{R}(-r(1-1)+\frac{r}{z_{0}}(r+z_{0}-(z_{0}-r))dr=-\frac{2\pi{G\rho}}{z_{0}}\int_{0}^{R}\frac{2r^{2}}{z_{0}}dr=-\frac{4\pi{G\rho}R^{3}}{3z_{0}^{2}}=-\frac{GM}{z_{0}^{2}}[/tex]
which agrees with what we should have when our point lies outside the sphere.

Last edited:
Note that for r-values GREATER than z_{0}, the integrand becomes:
[tex](-r(\frac{r+z_{0}}{|r+z_{0}|}+\frac{r-z_{0}}{|r-z_{0}|})+\frac{r}{z_{0}}(|r+z_{0}|-|r-z_{0}|)=-r(1+1)+\frac{r}{z_{0}}(r+z_{0}-r+z_{0})=-2r+2r=0[/tex]

This agrees with the result of the shell method, namely that for a point within a hollow sphere, the net force from that hollow sphere equals zero.

Thus, only the sphere with radius [tex]0\leq{r}\leq{z_{0}}(\leq{R})[/tex] counts, and from the previous post, we see we get the result:
[tex]f_{0,k}=-\frac{4\pi{G}\rho{z}_{0}^{3}}{3z_{0}^{2}}=-\frac{4\pi}{3}G\rho{z}_{0}[/tex]

It must be the most difficult integration so far I have encountered. But at the same time, it fasinates me.

What is the next step, arildno?

As long as you have understood the steps we have been through, we are basically finished.

That means I have not fully understood what you have said...
It seems that I have to try harder

Post 18 contains the answer to your original question.

Yes, I saw that.

Anyway, thanks for your help really. I will study all the posts you have posted seriously.

1. How does gravity change as you go deeper into the earth?

As you go deeper into the earth, the force of gravity actually decreases. This is because the mass of the earth above you is pulling in all directions, canceling out some of the pull towards the center.

2. How is the strength of gravity inside the earth calculated?

The strength of gravity inside the earth can be calculated using Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation, which takes into account the mass and distance between two objects. In this case, the two objects are the point inside the earth and the center of the earth.

3. Does gravity inside the earth affect objects differently than on the surface?

Yes, gravity inside the earth affects objects differently than on the surface. This is because the force of gravity is dependent on the distance between two objects, so objects closer to the center of the earth will experience a stronger gravitational pull than those on the surface.

4. How does the density of the earth affect gravity inside the earth?

The density of the earth does not have a significant effect on gravity inside the earth. This is because gravity is determined by the mass of an object, not its density. However, the overall mass and distribution of mass within the earth do impact the strength of gravity at different depths.

5. Can the force of gravity inside the earth ever be zero?

No, the force of gravity inside the earth can never be zero. This is because there is always some mass between any two points within the earth, and therefore there will always be a gravitational pull between them. However, the force of gravity can become very small at certain depths due to the cancellation of forces from all directions.