Greatest elongation and escape velocity HELP

In summary, Greatest elongation refers to the farthest point of a planet's orbit from the sun as viewed from Earth. It is measured in degrees and is important for observing and studying planets at their highest point in the sky. Escape velocity, on the other hand, is the minimum speed needed to escape the gravitational pull of a celestial body and is calculated using its mass, radius, and the gravitational constant.
itheo92

Homework Statement

Three wires are made of same materials. Which wire will have the greatest elongation?
wire1: length: 50cm, diameter: 0.5mm
wire2: length: 100cm, diameter: 1mm
wire3: length: 300cm, diameter: 3mm

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know, the wire having greatest elongation will have the greatest Young's modulus.
So, i have to calculate the young modulus from the given data of the three wires. but I can't get a equation to put.
actually I'm weak at the elasticity related issues, but I guess It's not too hard...

Homework Statement

The escape velocity from Earth is v. if the body is projected from the Earth in a direction of 45 degree to the vertical then it's escape velocity is??

Homework Equations

I think, the escape velocity will not change...it's same for all direction...am I wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would like to welcome you to these forums and would ask that you post separate unrelated questions in separate posts, and to please show an attempt at your work when posting, listing relevant equations.
itheo92 said:

Homework Statement

Three wires are made of same materials. Which wire will have the greatest elongation?
wire1: length: 50cm, diameter: 0.5mm
wire2: length: 100cm, diameter: 1mm
wire3: length: 300cm, diameter: 3mm

Homework Equations

I know, the wire having greatest elongation will have the greatest Young's modulus.
this is not true
So, i have to calculate the young modulus from the given data of the three wires. but I can't get a equation to put.
It is given that all wires have the same material, therefore, they all have the same Young modulus, which is a property of the material structure.
actually I'm weak at the elasticity related issues, but I guess It's not too hard...
You'll need to list the relevant equation that relates elongation to Young's modulus and the given variables.

Homework Statement

The escape velocity from Earth is v. if the body is projected from the Earth in a direction of 45 degree to the vertical then it's escape velocity is??

Homework Equations

I think, the escape velocity will not change...it's same for all direction...am I wrong?
You may very well be right, with the usual assumptions of no air resistance, etc., but why do you say that?

1. What is greatest elongation?

Greatest elongation refers to the point in the orbit of a planet or other celestial body when it is farthest from the sun as viewed from Earth.

2. How is greatest elongation measured?

Greatest elongation is measured in degrees and is determined by the angle between the sun, the planet, and Earth.

3. Why is greatest elongation important?

Greatest elongation is important because it allows us to observe planets at their highest point in the sky, making them easier to see and study.

4. What is escape velocity?

Escape velocity is the minimum speed an object needs to escape the gravitational pull of a planet or other celestial body.

5. How is escape velocity calculated?

Escape velocity is calculated using the mass and radius of the celestial body, as well as the gravitational constant. It can be calculated using the formula: ve = √(2GM/r)