Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Greek letter symbols for pasting into replies

1. Apr 7, 2009 #1
    Where can I find the Greek letter symbols for pasting into replies (e.g., alpha, beta, gamma etc.)?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2009 #2

turbo

Gold Member

https://www.physicsforums.com/blog.php?b=347 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Apr 7, 2009 #3
    Thank you for that link, Turbo. More broadly, for mathematical notations (powers and roots, integrals, etc.) is there any way to 'type' those into the forum, or are all such symbols in posts pasted in from other sources each poster may have?

If the latter, as I suspect, is there any simple and free program one can download just to be able to 'write mathematically'?

Thank you.

5. Apr 7, 2009 #4

turbo

Gold Member

I'm not familiar with LaTex, but I believe that this forum has the capability to handle such notation.

6. Apr 7, 2009 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

get a Mac!

Hi Ike47! :smile:

For powers and indices, use the X2 and X2 tags just above the Reply box.

For symbols, get a Mac! :biggrin:

xyn ; √x ; ∫x dx :wink:

7. Apr 7, 2009 #6
    Thank you2!

As for getting a Mac, when I finally someday have the funds for a new computer, I'm certainly considering that option already. :)

8. Apr 7, 2009 #7

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

:biggrin:
    Get an old 233MHz iMac on ebay for under $100 …

even the very first Macs had symbols like √ ∫ ß µ ∆ ∂ ∑ π on the standard keyboard :wink:

9. Apr 7, 2009 #8
    Cool. However, I think I'll wait on a new computer till I can get one that is a significant upgrade on my current pc (which has all of a 700 MHZ chip).

10. Apr 8, 2009 #9

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So to summarize the 3 options:

1. Bookmark the link to my blog that turbo gave in post #2. The same link is in my current sig.
    If you just want Greek letters, as you said, then this is the easiest way.

2. Use LaTex
    Note, this is more CPU-intensive for PF's host server, as it must generate an image file for each snippet of LaTex code. At least that is my understanding.

Either insert LaTex code by hand between Latex tags [noparse][tex]...[/tex][/noparse], or

In Advanced edit mode, click the Σ icon to get a drop-down menu of LaTex symbols

For more info, see https://www.physicsforums.com/misc/howtolatex.pdf
    and also do a forum search on "latex" for useful discussions.

3. Get a Mac with the symbols on the keyboard
    Disclaimer: I am a PC person, who has simply lost count of how many times I've heard tiny-tim say this. :smile:

11. Apr 8, 2009 #10

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Powers and subscripts are easy to do using bbcode tags.

[ sup ]13[ /sup ]C[ sub ]6[ /sub ] without the spaces inside the brackets reads: 13C6

And here's a link to the [itex]\LaTeX[/itex] tutorial thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=8997

12. Apr 9, 2009 #11

sylas

Science Advisor

I have another method for Greek letters, because I use them a lot. I have set up my windows system on a PC to have two possible input languages. I'm running XP. Here's how.

• Go to the control panel.
    • Select "Regional and Language Settings".
    • Pick the tab marked "Languages".
    • Click the button for "Details".
    • From here, you can "Add" more languages, and also alter "Key Settings"

I include a picture of the steps, as they apply on my machine. Note that I am set up so that LeftAlt-Shift switches between my two available input languages.

I can now type in Greek ωερυ εασιλυ. ΨΑΠΤΙΑΛΣ, ΑΛΣΟ. I don't speak any Greek; I just use the letters as variables.

Cheers -- Sylas

LangSeq.JPG

13. Apr 9, 2009 #12
    That is great!

Ευχαριστω !

Haven't figured out yet if there's any way to add accents and breathings, though they aren't needed for scientific notation, of course.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook