1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Green's First Identity involving Electric Potential

1. Jun 23, 2014 #1
    I am attempting to work through a paper that involves some slightly unfamiliar vector calculus, as well as many omitted steps. It begins with the potential energy due to an electric field, familiarly expressed as:
    [tex]
    U_{el} = \frac{\epsilon_r\epsilon_0}{2} \iiint_VE^2dV = \frac{\epsilon_r\epsilon_0}{2} \iiint_V(\nabla{\Phi})^2dV
    [/tex]
    I am not quite sure as to the expression for a squared gradient, but I worked from using ##\nabla(\Phi\nabla\Phi) = (\nabla\Phi)^2 + \Phi\nabla^2\Phi## so that ##(\nabla\Phi)^2 = \nabla(\Phi\nabla\Phi) - \Phi\nabla^2\Phi##. Now, I can rewrite ##U_{el}## as:
    [tex]
    U_{el} = \frac{\epsilon_r\epsilon_0}{2}\Big[\iiint_V\nabla(\Phi\nabla\Phi)dV - \iiint_V\Phi\nabla^2\Phi{dV}\Big]
    [/tex]
    I recognize the presence of Poisson's equation in the second term, but as for the first? This is where I am stuck. I am supposed to use these expressions together with the Divergence theorem so that I can invoke Green's first identity:
    [tex]
    \int_{\Omega}(\psi\nabla^2\phi + \nabla\phi\cdot\nabla\psi)dV = \oint_{\Omega}\psi(\nabla\phi\cdot{\bf{n}})dS
    [/tex]
    For two scalar functions ##\psi## and ##\phi##. Ultimately, I need to arrive at the expression:
    [tex]
    U_{el} = \frac{1}{2}\oint_S\sigma\phi_0dS + \frac{1}{2}\iiint_V\rho\Phi{dV}
    [/tex]
    Using Poisson's equation ##\nabla^2\Phi = -\frac{\rho}{\epsilon_0}## and ##\sigma = -{\epsilon_r\epsilon_0}\frac{\partial{\Phi}}{\partial{n}}## and using the fact that ##\phi_0## is the potential at the surface.

But I do not have any dot products associated with what I did above and so I do not see how to proceed; the only way I see how this could work is understanding that there is really only one scalar function here instead of two, namely ##\Phi##, but I don't see this allowing me to make ##\nabla(\Phi\nabla\Phi) = \nabla\Phi\cdot\nabla\Phi##. Am I forgetting something simple?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2014 #2

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You...you are right there to solving it. You already showed that ##\nabla(\Phi\nabla\Phi)=(\nabla\Phi)^2+\Phi\nabla^2\Phi##

So I think the only point you're stuck on should be: ##(\nabla\Phi)^2=\nabla\Phi\cdot\nabla\Phi##

Can you do it from here?

Maybe a slightly bigger hint. I can rewrite Green's identity, if ##\phi=\psi## as such:

$$\int_\Omega (\psi\nabla^2\phi+\nabla\phi\cdot\nabla\psi)dV=\int_\Omega (\phi\nabla^2\phi+\nabla\phi\cdot\nabla\phi)dV=\int_\Omega \nabla(\phi\nabla\phi) dV=\oint_{\partial\Omega} \phi(\nabla\phi\cdot{\bf{n}})dS$$

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook