Understanding Green's Identity: Solving Laplace Equation for Harmonic Functions

• Thread starter yungman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Identity
In summary, harmonic functions satisfy Laplace's equation and have continuous first and second partial derivatives. Green's first identity can be used to show that the integral of the Laplacian of a harmonic function over a region is equal to the integral of the function's normal derivative over the boundary of that region. For a harmonic function, the Laplacian is identically zero, so the integral of the Laplacian is also zero. This can be seen by differentiating x twice, which results in zero, and then integrating back to get zero again.
yungman
Harmonic function satisfies Laplace equation and have continuous 1st and 2nd partial derivatives. Laplace equation is [itex]\nabla^2 u=0[/itex].

Using Green's 1st identity:

[tex]\int_{\Omega} v \nabla^2 u \;+\; \nabla u \;\cdot \; \nabla v \; dx\;dy \;=\; \int_{\Gamma} v\frac{\partial u}{\partial n} \; ds [/tex]

[tex] v=1 \;\Rightarrow\; \int_{\Omega} \nabla^2 u \; dx\;dy \;=\; \int_{\Gamma} \frac{\partial u}{\partial n} \; ds = 0 \;\hbox { if } \;u \;\hbox{ is a harmonic function .} [/tex]

Why is it equal zero if u is harmonic function? Why is:

[tex]\int_{\Omega} \nabla^2 u \; dx\;dy =0 \hbox { if } \nabla^2 u =0 [/tex]

Or more basic question:

What is [itex]\int_{\Gamma} 0 dxdy[/itex]? Is it not zero?

Physics news on Phys.org
The integral of zero is zero. I don't see a problem here.

jackmell said:
The integral of zero is zero. I don't see a problem here.

Thanks

So you mean:

[tex]\int_{\Omega} \nabla^2 u \; dx\;dy =0 \hbox { if } \nabla^2 u =0 [/tex]?

yungman said:
Thanks

So you mean:

[tex]\int_{\Omega} \nabla^2 u \; dx\;dy =0 \hbox { if } \nabla^2 u =0 [/tex]?

Youngman, I don't want to get over my head with this or nothing, but let me try to explain since I jumped in: if the function u is harmonic, then the Laplacian is zero, not a limit which approaches zero but identically zero and surely the integral of zero is just zero.

jackmell said:
Youngman, I don't want to get over my head with this or nothing, but let me try to explain since I jumped in: if the function u is harmonic, then the Laplacian is zero, not a limit which approaches zero but identically zero and surely the integral of zero is just zero.

I was just thinking if you differentiate x twice you get zero, if integration is the reverse of differentiation, should integrating zero be something! I dug up books and I did not see anything about this, that's why I posted.

Thanks for the help.

1. What is Green's identity?

Green's identity, also known as Green's theorem, is a mathematical tool used in vector calculus to relate the surface integral of a function over a region to the line integral of that function around the boundary of the region.

2. How is Green's identity used in science?

Green's identity has various applications in science, particularly in the fields of physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is used to solve problems involving heat flow, fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and other physical phenomena.

3. What are the conditions for Green's identity to hold?

Green's identity holds under the condition that the functions involved are continuously differentiable and the region of integration is simply connected, meaning that there are no holes or disjoint regions in the region of interest.

4. Can Green's identity be generalized to higher dimensions?

Yes, Green's identity can be generalized to higher dimensions. In three dimensions, it is known as the Divergence Theorem, and in higher dimensions, it is known as Stokes' Theorem.

5. How is Green's identity related to other mathematical theorems?

Green's identity is closely related to other theorems in vector calculus, such as the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, the Gradient Theorem, and the Divergence Theorem. It also has connections to other branches of mathematics, such as complex analysis and differential geometry.