1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Green's theorem: region inside 8 leaved petal

1. Jul 31, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Use Green's theorem to compute the area of one petal of the 8-leafed rose defined by r=9sin(4theta)
    It may be useful for recall that the area of a region D enclosed by a curve C can be expressed as A =(1/2)int xdy-ydx.

2. Relevant equations
    A =(1/2)int xdy-ydx

3. The attempt at a solution
    I graphed the region on my calculator, but I am not sure what to use for x and y. Would the best way be to change r into rectangular coordinates? If so what would my limit be? 0 to pi/4? perhaps?

Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 1, 2009 #2
    EDIT: I'm stupid, lol.

4. Aug 1, 2009 #3
    Okay, so you're right with the 0 to pi/4. Now you just need to parameterize the curve. Think about finding the x and y coordinates of each of the r-vectors... Then you just integrate x(t)y'(t)dt and y(t)x'(t)dt. Hope that helps.

5. Aug 1, 2009 #4
    Ok, so using the fact that x=rcostheta and y=rsintheta, would the parameter of x=9sin(4theta)cos(theta) and y=9sin(4theta)sin(theta) ?

6. Aug 1, 2009 #5
    That's correct. Now you just have to figure out your limits...

7. Aug 1, 2009 #6
    So limits are 0 to pi/4 correct? When I write out the integral, its huge. Is there any trick to combining the terms together neatly?

8. Aug 1, 2009 #7
    Haha, yeah it's a pretty big integral. I guess this is why you wouldn't normally use Green's Theorem to find the area of a rose petal. You'd just use the polar formula...

9. Aug 1, 2009 #8
    This should be your integral:

[tex]\frac{1}{2}(\int_{0}^{\pi/4}[{9sin(4t)cos(t)[9sin(4t)cos(t)+36cos(4t)sin(t)]]dt}-\int_{0}^{\pi/4}[{9sin(4t)sin(t)[-9sin(4t)sin(t)+36cos(4t)cos(t)]]dt})[/tex]

EDIT: Realistically, most people would use Maple, Mathematica, or a calculator to evaluate that monster. It doesn't look friendly even if there's something that can be done to shrink it down.

10. Aug 1, 2009 #9
    Awesome got it! Thanks for all the help!!!

11. Nov 17, 2009 #10
    FTW:

This actually SIMPLIFIES to something much easier if you go through the distribution.

12. Nov 17, 2009 #11
    Yeah I realized that after a few minutes but I didn't edit my post.

Also, lol @ the response 3 months later... :-)

13. Nov 18, 2009 #12
    yea i know but i just spent like an hour going through this and i felt like i needed to share it with future WEBWORK kids.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook