Green's theorem for finding area.

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the area of one petal of an 8-leafed rose using GT and a parametrization. The speaker originally used a long integral but later simplified it to a simpler integral, questioning why they could pretend "r" is a constant in the process. The answer is that it is a coincidence and the terms proportional to dr cancel out.
mathman44

Homework Statement

Use GT to find the area of one petal of the 8-leafed rose given by

[tex]r=17sin(\theta)[/tex]

Recall that the area of a region D enclosed by a curve C can be found by
[tex]A=1/2\int(xdy - ydx)[/tex]

I calculated it using the parametrization

[tex]x=rcos(\theta), y=rcos(\theta)[/tex]

And I found a really long integral, evaluated it from 0 to pi/4, and got the correct answer.
Here is my question: apparently, if x is defined as above, and I find

[tex] dx = -rsin(\theta), dy = rcos(\theta)[/tex], then the integral

[tex]A=1/2\int(xdy - ydx)[/tex] simplifies nicely to [tex]1/2\int(r^2)d\theta[/tex]. Evaluating this integral again from 0 to pi/4 gives the correct answer.

So... why is it that I can pretend "r" is a constant when I'm evalutating dx and dy, when really, r is dependent on theta just as the x and y parametrizations are?

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone, please?

mathman44 said:
Why is it that I can pretend "r" is a constant when I'm evalutating dx and dy, when really, r is dependent on theta just as the x and y parametrizations are?
Simple answer: You can't really. If you work it out properly, you'll see the terms proportional to dr cancel out. It's just a coincidence.

Thanks.

1. What is Green's theorem for finding area?

Green's theorem is a mathematical tool used to calculate the area enclosed by a closed curve in a two-dimensional space. It relates the line integral of a two-dimensional vector field around the boundary of a region to the double integral over the region itself.

2. How does Green's theorem work?

Green's theorem states that the line integral around a closed curve in a two-dimensional space is equal to the double integral over the region enclosed by the curve. This allows for the calculation of area by integrating a vector field around the boundary of a region.

3. What is the significance of Green's theorem in mathematics?

Green's theorem is an important tool in mathematics for calculating areas and solving line integrals. It is also used in physics to calculate work done by a force field and in engineering for fluid flow calculations.

4. How is Green's theorem related to Stokes' theorem?

Stokes' theorem is the three-dimensional extension of Green's theorem. It states that the surface integral of a vector field over a closed surface is equal to the triple integral of the curl of the vector field over the region enclosed by the surface. Green's theorem can be seen as a special case of Stokes' theorem when the surface is a flat plane.

5. What are some practical applications of Green's theorem?

Green's theorem is commonly used in physics and engineering to solve problems involving work, flux, and circulation. It is also used in computer graphics to determine the area of a polygon and in navigation to calculate the area of a region on a map.