Admission to Physics Major: Prerequisites, Classes & Recommendations

• Thread starter keep7up
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Greetings
In summary, the conversation discusses the prerequisites and recommended classes for admission into a Physics major at a university, with a focus on the requirements at York University in Canada. The conversation also touches on the importance of applying mathematical and physical skills to real-life situations and expanding one's knowledge through different subjects.
keep7up
this question is for those that have been admitted to a University for a Physics major,
or are planning on doing so...
What other classes have you taken in High School? What prerequisits are usually set to be admitted into a Physics program.
Which classes do you recommend? Particularly from the Mathematics field?
Which classes complement Physics, (Chemistry? Bio?)
Thanks.

P.S.
I live in Canada and plan to attend York (it's the best option I got for location/knowing others who are going there)
My question is for those who know about the Canadian University "standard" for physics, what classes do they require you to have in order to be accepted into that program? Is it just the standard 6 U/M courses with English at mid 70% average or does the Physics program require additional classes? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I found that it really depended on the university. When I was shopping around ontario university websites last september, the prerequisites and admission average for each university seemed to vary. York wasn't one of the universities that I was looking at, so I couldn't tell you their requirements off the top of my head.
Edit: Since I'm not really busy right now, I did the digging around for you.

You should be able to find relevant admission information here : http://www.yorku.ca/web/futurestudents/requirements/high school.htmland here is a link to the description of the physics program at York:
http://www.yorku.ca/web/futurestudents/programs/template.asp?id=503

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I'm just a High School student that's entering a University as a Mathematics and Physics Double major. For High school, it's recommended to take AP Calculus AB or BC, Physics B or C (Preferabbly the C ones, as they iare Calculus based), and AP Chemistry (just so you have some exposure.) When I spoke with physics professors, they've all told me , with respect to mathematics, to "learn as much as you can." In particular, they suggested Differential Equations, Partial Differential Equations, and a Mathematical Methods in Physics class. However, I'm not too sure, as I haven't really even begun my Physics major yet...

I'm not sure if Canada offers AP classes, if not, take IB Physics or IB Maths of some form. Sorry, not too familiar with Canadian educational system.

Everybody on this board will tell you your physics and math requirements. However, I think that it is important that you be able to apply your physical and mathematical skills to real-life situations. I recommend doing a science fair experiment, or summer research. Take biology, Anatomy and Physiology, art. Just applying your knowledge to a breadth of subjects will expand your horizons and make you more intuitive.

My $.02

Paden Roder

Incredible.
All was very helpful.
The last response was inspirational.
Thanks guys.

1. What are the prerequisites for admission to a physics major?

The specific prerequisites for admission to a physics major may vary depending on the university or college, but generally, a strong foundation in mathematics (calculus, algebra, and geometry) and physics (mechanics, thermodynamics, and electromagnetism) is required. Additionally, some schools may also require coursework in chemistry and computer science.

2. What classes can I expect to take as a physics major?

As a physics major, you can expect to take a variety of classes in different areas of physics, such as classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics. You may also take classes in mathematics, computer science, and laboratory techniques. Your curriculum may also include specialized courses in areas like astrophysics, biophysics, or nanotechnology, depending on your interests.

3. Are there any recommended courses to take before applying for a physics major?

While not necessarily required, it is recommended to take advanced courses in mathematics, such as multivariable calculus and linear algebra, as well as advanced physics courses like modern physics and statistical mechanics. These courses can help strengthen your understanding and preparation for a physics major.

4. Do I need to have prior research experience for admission to a physics major?

Not all universities require prior research experience for admission to a physics major, but it is highly recommended. Having research experience can demonstrate your interest and aptitude for the subject and can also provide valuable skills and knowledge for your future studies in physics.

5. What kind of recommendations do I need for admission to a physics major?

Most universities will require at least two letters of recommendation for admission to a physics major. These letters should come from teachers, professors, or mentors who can speak to your academic abilities, work ethic, and potential for success in a physics program. It is important to choose recommenders who know you well and can provide specific examples and insights into your strengths and potential as a physics student.