Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Grid tie inverter distorting waveform

1. Nov 30, 2014 #1
    I've just wired in a 1kw grid tie inverter, feeding the power from solar panels into the mains grid, ( in Thailand , so no rules or regulations).

There are some problems I've noticed. Toaster buzzes , but works. Induction cooker won't work, lights come on , fan works but no heat delivered, when grid tie switched off, works fine again. Soldering iron ( temperature controlled) won't heat up fully.

This seems to indicate the grid tie inverter is not pure sine wave. What can be done? Would a power line filter help?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2014 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Where did you get the inverter? Perhaps you should talk with the manufacturer about the problems. And 1kW is not a very big inverter. How big are the solar panels, and how much power do they produce in bright sunlight? I suspect that you are not getting 1kW out of the solar panels and/or they are not being operated at their maximum power point.

4. Nov 30, 2014 #3
    Most inverters produce a facsimile of a waveshape, but very crude, a step function with copious harmonics. I would check to make sure what you did was correct first, as far as the hookup and your regulator. Are the panels balanced with the inverter and loads?

5. Nov 30, 2014 #4
    Good conclusion.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook