Multiple in-phase AC sources to a load

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of multiple AC sources, such as solar inverters and the grid, to power a load. The question is raised about the maximum power that can be sourced from the non-grid AC and the role of inverters in maintaining voltage and current. The concept of balancing voltage and impedance is also mentioned. The conversation highlights the importance of considering impedance when connecting multiple sources and the potential impact on load balancing.
funnyguy
I'm trying to figure out how multiple AC sources which are in phase would be able to be used sequentially to power a load. This all started as I read some literature about solar PV panel systems which had a wiring diagram to tie output from the inverters directly into the electrical panel split phase poles. This being from a reputable PV inverter company. This system out puts 120 Vac split phase plus ground and neutral, it's a 4-wire output.

I've attached a diagram to this post. I've simply represented the load as inductive for fun, no real point here.

So here's the problem, wouldn't the MOST power that could be sourced from the non-grid AC be 50% of the load consumption?

I'm not sure how these inverters work, but I'm assuming they will maintain 120 Vac up until they can't drive the current any more, and I would assume that they would then allow a voltage drop. I was thinking an op-amp circuit could be used for this difference to re-balance the voltage at 120 Vac.

Otherwise, what I would think would happen is that the current from each source would be equal until the inverters couldn't drive any more current, at which point any additional current would be from the grid source.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-10-22 at 8.13.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-10-22 at 8.13.58 PM.png
    2 KB · Views: 475
Engineering news on Phys.org
The inverter can put out as much power as the solar array can support withing the current limit of the inverter itself. - as long as the DC bus, fed by the array his high enough voltage it will export power. So you have the current limit of the system, by design say 10KW, and the power limit of the solar array based on the amount of energy it can convert.
I do not understand your 50% comment however. If the inverter puts out AC Voltage - just slightly higher then the grid it will continue to export power. None of the voltages are exactly 120 and everything has impedances that ultimatly help to balance the system - or make it more stable.

My point is that with two voltage sources, and load would pull current from Both sources, the grid and the solar inverter. They cannot be at different voltages otherwise there would be racing currents as the inverters output is directly tied to the split phase poles.

This is just basic KCL. I have a junction, and V_grid and V_solar both 120∠0 are both at the junction. Additionally, my load is tied to the junction. Any current will come from both the grid and solar until solar cannot provide any more current, but grid will still provide additional current.

If you add some resistor, any, between the Voltage sources and the junction, the voltage to the load is simply the average of the two voltages.

The inverter will have higher voltage ( if it runs properly) at the point that they connect, and possibly slightly leading phase angle - to ensure it exports power. Keep in mind - nether the source or the inverter has zero impedance. Your diagram is over simplified the sources are nether identical nor ideal.

Consider a Solar inverter tied to the grid - it would have to have higher voltage at the connection point to "push" current back to the grid as well. The Grid has impedance also.

The utility parallels transformers - but must pay close attention to the transfromer's impedances - then need to match closely. If one has lower impedance it will carry most of the load, when the impedance are close enough, one will carry slightly more load but also heat up faster increasing it's impedance - until they balance.

I can provide some insights into how multiple in-phase AC sources can be used to power a load sequentially. First, let's understand the concept of phase in AC sources. AC (alternating current) changes direction periodically, and the phase refers to the timing of these changes. In-phase AC sources have the same frequency and change direction at the same time.

Now, coming to your question about using multiple in-phase AC sources to power a load, it is possible to do so by connecting them in parallel. This means that the output of each source is connected to the load simultaneously. As you correctly mentioned, the most power that can be sourced from the non-grid AC would be 50% of the load consumption. This is because the sources are connected in parallel, and each source would contribute half of the total power required by the load.

Regarding your concern about the inverters not being able to drive any more current, most PV inverters have a maximum power point tracking (MPPT) feature. This means that the inverter will adjust its output to match the load's requirements and maintain the voltage at 120 VAC. If the load requires more power than what the inverters can provide, the excess power would be drawn from the grid source.

As for using an op-amp circuit to re-balance the voltage at 120 VAC, it may not be necessary as the MPPT feature of the inverters should handle this automatically. However, it is always a good idea to have a backup plan in case of any technical issues.

In summary, multiple in-phase AC sources can be used sequentially to power a load by connecting them in parallel. The inverters should be able to adjust their output to match the load's requirements, and any excess power would be drawn from the grid source. I hope this helps to clarify your doubts.

1. What is the purpose of using multiple in-phase AC sources to power a load?

The use of multiple in-phase AC sources to power a load is to increase the overall power supply to the load. By connecting AC sources in parallel, the voltage and current can be added together, resulting in a higher power output to the load. This is especially useful for high-powered loads that require more energy than a single AC source can provide.

2. Can any type of AC source be connected in-phase to a load?

Yes, any type of AC source can be connected in-phase to a load as long as their frequencies and phases are synchronized. This means that the AC sources should have the same frequency and their waveforms should be in phase with each other.

3. How is the total power output of multiple in-phase AC sources calculated?

The total power output of multiple in-phase AC sources can be calculated by adding the individual power outputs of each AC source. This can be calculated using the formula P = V x I, where P is power, V is voltage, and I is current. By adding the voltages and currents of each AC source, the total power output can be determined.

4. Are there any potential risks or disadvantages to using multiple in-phase AC sources?

One potential risk of using multiple in-phase AC sources is the possibility of overloading the load if the individual AC sources are not properly synchronized. This can lead to damage to the load or the AC sources. Additionally, connecting multiple AC sources in parallel can lead to increased complexity and cost in the power supply system.

5. How can the synchronization of multiple in-phase AC sources be ensured?

The synchronization of multiple in-phase AC sources can be ensured by using a synchronization method such as a phase-locked loop (PLL) or a synchronous generator. These methods ensure that the AC sources have the same frequency and phase, allowing them to be connected in parallel without causing any issues. Additionally, using reliable and high-quality AC sources can also help ensure proper synchronization.