Comparing Griffiths and Zettili for QM: Help Needed!

In summary, although different people have different opinions on which quantum mechanics textbook is best, most people seem to agree that Griffiths' Elementary Particles is a good choice for someone just starting out.
almarpa
Hello all!

You'll see, I am self studying physics, and have already finished with Kleppner - Kolenkow mechanics (complemented with Morin) and Griffiths electrodynamics.

Now I think I am prepared for QM, but I do not know which textbook is better for me. I have reduced my options to Griffiths or Zettili.

1) Griffiths.
Pros: I LOVED his electrodynamics book, like conversational textbooks, like his style (I am a teacher as well), plan to continue with griffiths intro. to elementary particles (so I guess his QM textbook is the best for it).
Cons: Many people seem to dislike it, they say it often confuses students.

2) Zetilli.
Pros: Many people here seem to like it, many solved problems.
Cons: Seems to be much more advenced than Griffiths, maybe not an undergraduate or intro text (which is what I am looking for).

What do you think? Anyone of you has used both books and can tell me something?

Thanks!

Likes fsystem25
Physics news on Phys.org
almarpa said:
Cons: Seems to be much more advenced than Griffiths, maybe not an undergraduate or intro text (which is what I am looking for).
Its at the right level for undergrads and I think its a better textbook than Griffiths'.

If you're planning to study Griffths elementary particles, then Zetilli will prepare you better ( I kid you not ), though If you can afford it, getting both books is better than just one.

I have had the opportunity of taking a look to Zettili, and in the second chapter (mathematical tools for QM) he talks about Cauchy sequences, Hilbert spaces, dual spaces... and all this in the first few pages. I have studied algebra, but it does not ring me a bell. Maybe I am not prepared for this book. At least Griffiths gives you a review of linear algebra, while Zettili does not...

almarpa said:
I have had the opportunity of taking a look to Zettili, and in the second chapter (mathematical tools for QM) he talks about Cauchy sequences, Hilbert spaces, dual spaces... and all this in the first few pages. I have studied algebra, but it does not ring me a bell. Maybe I am not prepared for this book. At least Griffiths gives you a review of linear algebra, while Zettili does not...
You should have covered Cauchy sequences in calculus II or III, and dual spaces in linear algebra. It's normal, however, for Hilbert spaces to be encountered first in a physics class.

almarpa said:

This thread and all the others on QM textbooks show what a personal thing it is. For example, I couldn't imagine starting with Sakurai. It's excellent, but is very abstract. It's a great follow-up to Griffiths, but as a starter, you'd have to be really on the ball. Zettili seems to me to take a long time to get going and from what I've seen I'm not convinced by it. Griffiths just gets stuck in with the Schroedinger equation on page 1!

You might also want to take a look at: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/starting-books-for-quantum-mechanics.893236/#post-5639613

As you can see, some very different views. However, whatever book you choose, you yourself will really have to be on the ball. IMHO, QM is a heavy subject.

PS If you do go for Griffiths, don't get the cheap Pearson international edition. The printing is shocking. The new edition from Cambridge University Press is well-priced.

Ok, if you want a book to read before one of the level of Sakurai, I'd suggest the Feynman Lectures vol. III. That starts with wave mechanics rather than the abstract Hilbert-space formalism. It seems to be really very individual, but for me it was a revelation and it made "click" in my mind when I got introduced to the formalism. With the representation-free approach the concepts are much easier to crasp than with working in the position representation all the time (which finally is what "wave mechanics" really is).

Likes smodak
Well, so it seems to me that, in my particular case, the best introduction will be Griffiths' book. We'll see.

Thanks you all for your contributions.

Since you already liked one Griffiths, there are good chances that you will also like the other one. So in your case, I would recommend Griffiths.

By the way, i have read someteré that there is a third edition of Griffiths' QM book about to come. Do you know when will it be on sale?

almarpa said:
By the way, i have read someteré that there is a third edition of Griffiths' QM book about to come. Do you know when will it be on sale?
He didn't give us more details:
Griffiths said:
Are you currently writing (or planning to write) any new books? If so, in what areas?

Nope. I’m working on a third edition of my Quantum book, and helping to edit a posthumous Quantum Field Theory book by my PhD advisor Sidney Coleman. That’s enough for now.
Reference https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/interview-physicist-david-j-griffiths/

1. What are the main differences between Griffiths and Zettili for QM?

The main difference between Griffiths and Zettili for QM is the approach to teaching quantum mechanics. Griffiths focuses on a more traditional, mathematical approach while Zettili uses a more modern, conceptual approach. Additionally, the two textbooks may differ in terms of organization, examples, and practice problems.

2. Which textbook is better for beginners in quantum mechanics?

This ultimately depends on the individual's learning style and preferences. Griffiths may be more suitable for those who prefer a more mathematical approach, while Zettili may be better for those who prefer a more conceptual approach. It is recommended to review both textbooks and choose the one that aligns with your learning style.

3. Are there any topics that are covered in one textbook but not the other?

Yes, there are some topics that may be covered in one textbook but not the other. For example, Griffiths covers the Dirac delta function and bra-ket notation, while Zettili does not. However, both textbooks cover the core concepts of quantum mechanics and provide a solid foundation for further study.

4. Which textbook has more practice problems and solutions?

Griffiths tends to have more practice problems and solutions compared to Zettili. However, the quality and difficulty of the problems may vary between the two textbooks. It is recommended to use additional resources for practice problems and not solely rely on the textbook.

5. Can I use both textbooks for my studies?

Yes, you can use both textbooks for your studies. Some students find it helpful to use multiple resources for a better understanding of the material. However, it is important to note that the textbooks may have different notation and terminology, so it is important to be aware of these differences when using both textbooks simultaneously.