1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Griffiths torque on a dipole

1. Mar 15, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Griffiths torque on a dipole

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This question refers to Griffiths E and M book.

In the sentence after equation 4.5, Griffiths says the following:

"For a perfect dipole of infinitesimal length, Eq 4.4 gives the torque about the center of the dipole..."

What is driving me insane is that I thought eqn 4.4 was true precisely when the dipole was finite since they say nothing about d being an infinitesimal there and the vector d sure does not look like an infinitesimal in Figure 4.5!?! I was sure that eqn 4.4 applied only for physical dipoles before I read that sentence! What is wrong here! Please help.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2008 #2

What he does is to do the calculation for a finite [itex] \vec{d} [/itex] in a uniform E field and then consider the limit as d becomes infinitesimal. There is nothing wrong with doing it this way. The only thing is that for an infinitesimal dipole, the product [itex] q \vec{d} [/itex] is not well-defined. But if you introduce a vector [itex] \vec{p} [/itex] for an infinitesimal dipole, then eq 4.5 is completely fine. So the only subtle point i sthe definition of the vector p for a perfet dipole. If it is defined as the infinitesimal limit of the vector "q d" then the whole procedure is well-defined.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?