Ground Effect Flying: Crafting a Model with Rotors & Props

In summary: It is possible to make a rotory craft based on the ground effect modifications. However, it would be difficult to make it work.
Ayrity
Hey all, I was wondering if it would be possible to make a craft that used specially designed rotors or props placed under a craft that were made to take advantage of the ground effect (ie a large surface area, endcaps on them and so on) as long as stability was taken care of by way of auto correction of airflow or a gyroscope, it would probably be more efficent than a copter, as long as it stayed around one diameter of its rotor above the ground. Any thoughts or ideas on how to make this more of a reality? I may be looking into makeing a model to get all the kinks out if I feel I have enough data and good ideas to back it up. Thanks --David

Engineering news on Phys.org
You mean a hovercraft?

yes, except without the use of a skirt. Its more like a helicopter with the rotors on the bottom. But by taking advantage of the ground effect, I think efficency could be boosted by 30% or so

Sure it's possible. You would be taking advantage of in ground effect, but that drastically limits you on what you can do. You wouldn't be able to lift heavy loads, you really would still have the same mobility as a car because you would be terrain limited.

Is it possible? Sure. Would it work? Sure. Would it be easy? No.

Well, I would agree with you on the car mobility, except that it would also be able to hover over water as well. The point of this would not be to create a true flying machine, only to make a different type of WIG (wing in ground effect vehicle) that does not have to have its entire body in motion to remain in flight. Thanks for the comments though, they are helping me to ask the right questions to improve my design and my goals. On that note, does anyone have any formulas or a place I can find them for myself, on ground effect specificly? Thanks

ah yes very cool, The Europlane or something of the sort I believe it was called. it is impressive. But as you can see it is a fixed wing design, a modification on an airplane as it were, What do you think of a rotory craft based on the ground effect modifications? (i.e. a modification on a helicopter)

Anyway, I know it may be difficult, but if its all the same to you guys, I would still enjoy working some of the problems out, so if anyone can help direct me to some equations specificly for ground effect, I would greatly appreciate it, thanks

Related to Ground Effect Flying: Crafting a Model with Rotors & Props

1. What is ground effect flying?

Ground effect flying is a type of flight that occurs when an aircraft is flying close to the ground, within one wingspan or less. The air pressure between the wings and the ground creates a cushion of air that can increase lift and decrease drag, allowing the aircraft to fly more efficiently.

2. How does ground effect affect aircraft performance?

Ground effect can improve an aircraft's performance by reducing drag, increasing lift, and allowing for a lower angle of attack. This results in a longer range, shorter takeoff and landing distances, and improved fuel efficiency.

3. What types of aircraft benefit from ground effect flying?

Aircraft that fly close to the ground, such as seaplanes, hovercrafts, and some military aircraft, can benefit from ground effect flying. However, all aircraft can experience ground effect to some degree, even at higher altitudes.

4. Are there any safety concerns with ground effect flying?

Ground effect flying can be dangerous if not performed correctly. Pilots must be trained to handle the unique characteristics of ground effect, such as increased risk of stall and difficulty in steering. Additionally, flying too close to the ground can increase the risk of collision with obstacles.

5. How can ground effect be simulated in a model aircraft?

Ground effect can be simulated in a model aircraft by using rotors and props to create a cushion of air between the model and the ground. This can be achieved by using a combination of lift-generating rotors and thrust-producing propellers, as well as adjusting the angle of attack and height of the model in relation to the ground.