1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ground state of atom

1. Apr 26, 2010 #1
    im looking for the 3 principals i need to be employ in determining the electronic structure of the ground state of an atom

Ive got Paulis exclusion principle where no 2 electrons in an atom can occupy the same quantum state and hunds rule of the total spin of the electrons always has it maximum possible value....butam a bit stuck on the third.

i guess im leaning towards the electrostatic potential energy of the electron and the proton....would this be right? im thinking coloumbs rule would be the one but just want to double check

many thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2010 #2
  4. Apr 26, 2010 #3
    i dont think so because ive been already told its Pauli's principle and Hund's rule. In the text im giving it doesnt mention the 3 Hunds rules just the one i stated above. Hmmm i thought i had it solved with the columbs law but am not too sure now ha ha

5. Apr 28, 2010 #4
    Could it be the principle that states of lowest energy fill first?

6. Apr 28, 2010 #5
    yer thats what i have been leaning towards after reading a bit more

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook