1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Group generated by a nonzero translation

1. Apr 8, 2009 #1
    Let G1 be the group generated by a nonzero translation and G2 be the group generated by a glide reflection. Show that G1 and G2 are isomorphic.

Here is how I started:

G1 = <Tb> where b[tex]\in[/tex] C and Tb(z) = z+b

G2 = <ML [tex]\circ[/tex] Tc> where c and L are parallel to each other.

Let's define a function [tex]\Phi[/tex]: G1 [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] G2

Then if [tex]\Phi[/tex] is a homomorphism and a bijection, it is an isomorphism.

But here lies my problem, I do not know what to make [tex]\Phi[/tex] equal to. Maybe this isn't the right way of approaching this problem.

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2009 #2
    Re: Isomorphisms

How can you perform a translation using a glide reflection? How can you perform a glide reflection with a translation?

4. Apr 8, 2009 #3

A glide reflection composed with itself is a translation. And you get a glide reflection by composing a reflection with a translation.

5. Apr 8, 2009 #4

So informally, translation = 2 * glide reflection and glide reflection = reflection + translation. Since you need a reflection to get a glide translation, I don't see any way of getting an isomorphism between the two groups.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook