Group of order 100 with no element of order 4?

  • Thread starter Thread starter kpoltorak
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Element Group
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
kpoltorak
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
1. Homework Statement [/]
Is there a group G with order 100 such that it has no element of order 4? How would one go about proving the existence of such a group?



2. Homework Equations [/]
For every prime divisor p of a group, there exists an element with order p.



The Attempt at a Solution

 
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes I do have some knowledge of direct products. Could I construct a group as such: [tex]\mathbb{Z}_{5}\times\mathbb{Z}_{5}\times\mathbb{Z}_{2}\times\mathbb{Z}_{2}[/tex]?
 
kpoltorak said:
Yes I do have some knowledge of direct products. Could I construct a group as such: [tex]\mathbb{Z}_{5}\times\mathbb{Z}_{5}\times\mathbb{Z}_{2}\times\mathbb{Z}_{2}[/tex]?

That's the one I had in mind.