Group theory: Conjugates, commutativity

In summary, There are 7! conjugates of p and 1680 conjugates of q. There are also 84 permutations that commute with p and 360 permutations that commute with q. To find these numbers, you need to divide by 2 for p and by 2 x 2 x 3 x 2 for q.
Kate2010

Homework Statement

In S8, consider p= (1 3)(2 4 5 6) and q=(1 3)(2 4)(7 6 5)

1. Find the number of conjugates of p and the number of conjugates of q
2. Find the number of permutations that commute with p and the number that commute with q

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I've got myself really confused.

1. For p, we are working in S8 so I initally count 8!
I then divide by 2 as (1 3) = (3 1) and similarly divide by 4 because of the 4-cycle.
The disjoint cycles are not the same length so my final answer is 8! / (4 x 2) = 7!

For q, we have 8! / (2 x 2 x 3 x2) = 1680 where the final 2 is because we have 2 2-cycles.

2. I'm not so sure about how to do this. I think it is asking me to find the size of the centralizer of each element but I don't know how to do this.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you need to divide by 2 again for p because 7 and 8 could either be mapped to themselves or to each other without it affecting anything else

1. What is the definition of a conjugate in group theory?

A conjugate in group theory is an element that is obtained by applying a group operation to another element in the group. This results in a new element that has the same structure and properties as the original element. Conjugates can be used to analyze symmetries and patterns within a group.

2. How does commutativity affect group operations?

Commutativity, or the ability for elements to be rearranged without changing the outcome, is an important concept in group theory. In groups where the operation is commutative, the order in which elements are multiplied does not matter. However, in non-commutative groups, the order of operations can greatly impact the result.

3. Can a group have both commutative and non-commutative elements?

Yes, a group can have both commutative and non-commutative elements. This is because the property of commutativity is dependent on the specific operation being performed. A group may have some operations that are commutative and others that are not.

4. How do conjugates relate to symmetry in group theory?

Conjugates are closely related to symmetry in group theory. When an element is conjugated by another element, it essentially means that it has been transformed in some way while still maintaining its essential properties. This concept is often used to analyze symmetries within a group and identify patterns.

5. Can two elements in a group have the same conjugates?

No, two elements in a group cannot have the same conjugates. This is because the conjugate of an element is unique and is determined by the group operation and the element it is being conjugated by. If two elements had the same conjugates, they would essentially be the same element, which would violate the definition of a group.