1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Group theory, order of a product of two elements

1. Jan 28, 2012 #1
    I search for an 'elementary' proof of this, where results about structure of abelian groups are not used. I've tried a standard way of proving this, but hit a wall. I'm mainly interested if my work on a proof can be expanded to a full solution.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let [itex]G[/itex] be an abelian group containing elements [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]b[/itex] of orders [itex]m[/itex] and [itex]n[/itex] respectively. Show that [itex]G[/itex] contains an element whoes order is the least common multiple of [itex]m[/itex] and [itex]n[/itex].

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'll try to prove [itex]ab[/itex] has order [itex]l = lcm(m,n)[/itex]. Clearly [itex](ab)^l = e[/itex]. So we know that [itex]ord(ab) \vert l[/itex]. Assuming [itex](ab)^k = e[/itex] and
    [itex]1 < k \leq l[/itex] I would have to prove that [itex]k = l[/itex].
    Define [itex]d = gcd(m,n)[/itex]. Then we can write [itex]m= m'd[/itex] and [itex]n = n'd[/itex]. It's easy to see that [itex]l = m'n'd[/itex], and [itex]gcd(m',n') = 1[/itex].
    If [itex](ab)^k = e[/itex], then [itex]a^k = b^{-k}[/itex] and orders of these elements must be the same. So we have that [itex](a^k)^m = a^{km} = e = b^{-km}[/itex] and we see that [itex]n \vert km[/itex] which re-written means [itex]n'd \vert km'd [/itex] and [itex]n' \vert km'[/itex] and since [itex]gcd(m',n') = 1[/itex] we get that [itex]n' \vert k[/itex]. Repeating this procedure the other way around we can prove that [itex]m' \vert k[/itex] and finally [itex]m'n' \vert k[/itex].

But this does not do the job, since I need to prove [itex]n'm'd \vert k[/itex], and I can't find a way to do this.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2012 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think that without further assumptions, all you can conclude about the order of ab is that [itex]ord(ab)|l[/itex].

Consider, for example, [itex]b = a^{-1}[/itex]. These two elements have the same order, say m. Thus [itex]l = lcm(m,m) = m[/itex]. But ord(ab) = ord(e) = 1.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  4. Jan 28, 2012 #3
    Yes, the textbook is a bit unclear I think. As you point out, if we chose an element and it's inverse, the result does not hold. We could restrict this so that a is not the inverse of b.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook