Group Theory (Physics): Is It Worth It for Physicists?

In summary, the speaker is a physics undergraduate who wanted to take a group theory class but couldn't fit it into their schedule until their last semester. They ended up taking a math department class and struggled at first, but caught up with self-study. The speaker is wondering if it's worth continuing with the subject as it seems more math-centered and may not cover topics of interest to physicists. They are seeking opinions from other physicists who have taken group theory and will also consult with their professors.
Grieverheart
Hello there,i'm at my last semester in physics undergrad.I wanted to get group theory last semester but it I was already full with other subjects and research,so I went this semsester and took the group theory taught in the math department.Well,at first I was totally lost (me and the 2 best math students in class) cause the other students were asking stuff about things I never heard of ,but anyways.Lessons started last thursday we're using M.A.Armstrong's book on group theory and aparently starting about from the middle(ch.13) of it cause the other students already had done the rest.But I did some self-study and caught up and finally am able to understand.

That was some backround info,now to the main subject.Apparently the subject is math-centered,meaning we'll probably not talk alot(if at all) about group representations,lie groups etc. (stuff which physicists are mostly interested in).Do you think it's worth it for me as a physicist,to continue following the subject?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am a lowly mathematician, but physics people seem interested in lie theory and representation theory.

[sorry I totally misread your post. If you use armstrong's book it does get to some stuff that even many mathematicians might not be interested in.]

Well,I really like math a lot and in another situation I wouldn't mind to follow the subject but I'm at my last semester,doing research and I already have lots of fun but maybe somewhat difficult subjects like differential geometry,particle physics etc. and my schedule is very tight.Thus,I would prefer even studying group theory on my own if the subject as discribed above is of no use to me as a physicist.

An opinion from fellow physicist which have had group theory would be helpful.In any case I'll also try to consult some of my proffessors.

1. What is group theory and how is it used in physics?

Group theory is a mathematical framework used to study the symmetry of objects and systems. In physics, it is used to understand the behavior of physical systems and to make predictions about their properties.

2. Is group theory necessary for physicists?

Group theory is not necessary for all physicists, but it is a valuable tool for those studying symmetry and the behavior of physical systems. It is particularly useful in quantum mechanics, particle physics, and condensed matter physics.

3. How can group theory help in understanding the fundamental forces of nature?

Group theory is used to represent and study the symmetries of the fundamental forces of nature, such as electromagnetism, the strong and weak nuclear forces, and gravity. It helps physicists to understand the behavior of particles and to make predictions about their interactions.

4. What are some real-world applications of group theory in physics?

Group theory has many applications in physics, including understanding the structure and behavior of molecules, studying crystal lattices in materials, and predicting the properties of subatomic particles. It is also used in the development of theories and models in cosmology and quantum field theory.

5. How difficult is it to learn group theory for physicists?

Learning group theory can be challenging, as it involves understanding abstract mathematical concepts. However, with practice and dedication, physicists can develop a solid understanding of the basics and apply it to their research. There are also many resources available, such as textbooks and online courses, to aid in learning group theory for physicists.