Group theory question about the N large limit

In summary, in the large N limit, U(N) and SU(N) are not isomorphic, but the relevant physics can still be encoded in the SU(N) group. This is due to simplifications and algebraic identities arising in contractions of su(N) matrices, such as the example for fund-rep generators T with adjoint-rep index a=1..N2-1. In 1+1 dim. QCD, there is also an 1/N expansion in terms of vev, free mesons, and interaction terms for "mesonic" operators.
llorgos
Hi!

I keep hearing that in the large N limit (so I am talking in specific AdS/CFT but more general too I guess) U(N) and SU(N) are isomorphic. So if I construct, say, the ## \mathcal{N}=1 ## SYM Lagrangian in the large N limit, I can take as gauge group both of the ones mentioned above.

Why is this true?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not, U(N) and SU(N) are never isomorphic. Maybe in the large N limit all the relevant physics is encoded in the SU(N) and any extra group factors from U(N) correspond to center of mass motion of the branes, but that concerns physics not group theory.

Many simplifications in the large-N limit are due to algebraic identities arising in contractions of su(N) matrices.

One example for fund-rep. generators T with adjoint-rep. index a=1..N2-1 is

##2\,T^a_{ij}\,T^a_{kl} = \delta_{il}\,\delta_{jk} - \frac{1}{N}\delta_{ij}\,\delta_{kl}##

and setting 1/N = 0 in the large-N limit. There are other identified for the anti-symm. structure constants f and the less well-known symm. structure constants d derived from this identity. In addition one can derive similar approximations for terms with three or more generators T.

Another approx. in 1+1 dim. QCD is valid for "mesonic" operators. If there are fields q carrying a fund-rep. index i you define

##Q(x,y) = \frac{1}{N}q_i(x)\,q_k(y)##

You may use a an approximation of Q in terms of the vev + mesonic fluctuations like

##Q(x,y) = \langle 0|Q(x-y)|0\rangle + \frac{1}{\sqrt{N}}\tilde{Q}(x,y) + \ldots##

which means that you have an 1/N expansion in terms of vev + free mesons + interaction terms.

Last edited:

1. What is the N large limit in group theory?

The N large limit in group theory refers to the behavior of a group as the number of elements in the group tends towards infinity. It is used to study the properties and behavior of groups with a large number of elements.

2. How is the N large limit used in group theory?

The N large limit is often used to simplify the analysis of groups with a large number of elements. It allows for the identification of patterns and generalizations that hold true for a large class of groups, rather than analyzing each group individually.

3. What are some applications of the N large limit in group theory?

The N large limit has many applications in various fields such as physics, chemistry, and computer science. It is used to study the behavior of large molecules, the properties of materials, and the efficiency of algorithms, to name a few.

4. How does the N large limit relate to finite and infinite groups?

The N large limit is primarily used to study infinite groups, as the behavior of finite groups can be fully described by their finite number of elements. However, the N large limit can also be applied to finite groups, as it allows for the identification of generalizations that hold true for a large class of groups, including both finite and infinite groups.

5. Are there any limitations to using the N large limit in group theory?

While the N large limit is a useful tool in the study of groups, it does have some limitations. It may not always accurately reflect the behavior of specific groups, and it may overlook important details that are only present in smaller groups. Additionally, the N large limit may not be applicable to certain types of groups, such as noncommutative or non-abelian groups.