Is Calculus a Prerequisite for Abstract Algebra?

In summary: Abstract Algebra is a prerequisite for this course, so they're probably making sure you're ready for it. Yeah right. I've never seen Calculus in a first course in Abstract Algebra.
Howers
Hi, I want to take this course next term. One reason is because I think it will help me with mechanics, classical and quantum, which are taken next year at advanced level.

The problem is I'm taking calc2 atm, and its a listed prereq for this group course. I got all the other prereq's, including linear alg 2 and abstract math intro(number fields and congruences). I don't know if asbtract algebra really requires calc, and my assumption is they want you to have calc 2 in order the have the proper mathematical maturity. Maybe I'm wrong, because I don't know a thing about abstract algebra aside from the bits from linear algebra. I always thought it logical to do algebra before the required calc, as its more fundamental. So can I take this course while concurrently taking calc 2?

Course text: CONTEMPORARY ABSTRACT ALGEBRA by GALLIAN

Course Desrp:
Congruences and fields. Permutations and permutation groups. Linear groups. Abstract groups, homomorphisms, subgroups. Symmetry groups of regular polygons and Platonic solids, wallpaper groups. Group actions, class formula. Cosets, Lagrange’s theorem. Normal subgroups, quotient groups. Classification of finitely generated abelian groups. Emphasis on examples and calculations.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hang on if you are taking calc 2 currently, then how would you be taking this class conceuurently with calc 2? I don't really think there would be a problem with taking the two classes at the same time, however, because they are rather different in nature, and you will probably use almost nothing directly from calculus, so the only reason it is a prerequisite is probably to assure that you have the mathematical maturity.

co-currently? lol

next term id do algebra, calc2 is a year course which I am doing now. and you sort of rephrased my question into an answer =P

Howers, to state the obvious: you should verify your tentative conclusions with officials at your school. It seems that you gave an outline syllabus for the abstract algebra course but not for the groups and symmetries course. At a guess, the latter might require knowledge of differential equations, for example in order to treat a "flow" (the one parameter group of transformations generated by a vector field). For example, this is how Killing vector fields on some Riemannian manifold are related to the isometry group of the manifold. This is also how one defines the "symmetries" of a differential equation, or system of differential equations, e.g. Maxwell's equations (which gives an interesting group including the Lorentz group, which was more or less the genesis of relativistic physics).

Last edited:
Chris Hillman said:
Howers, to state the obvious: you should verify your tentative conclusions with officials at your school. It seems that you gave an outline syllabus for the abstract algebra course but not for the groups and symmetries course. At a guess, the latter might require knowledge of differential equations, for example in order to treat a "flow" (the one parameter group of transformations generated by a vector field). For example, this is how Killing vector fields on some Riemannian manifold are related to the isometry group of the manifold. This is also how one defines the "symmetries" of a differential equation, or system of differential equations, e.g. Maxwell's equations (which gives an interesting group including the Lorentz group, which was more or less the genesis of relativistic physics).

Groups and Symmetries is the course title, but I'm pretty sure its a course on abstract algebra judging by the book we're using. In Canada, we don't use the term system (ie calc I, calc II, calc III), we do it by year, ie. calc 1 = calcI+calcII and calc2 = calcIII+vectorcalc.

I asked the prof he said the course changes every year and he said some calc may be used...

Howers said:
I asked the prof he said the course changes every year and he said some calc may be used...

Yeah right. I've never seen Calculus in a first course in Abstract Algebra.

It's probably only for mathematical maturity.

1. What are groups and symmetries?

Groups and symmetries are mathematical concepts that describe patterns and relationships between objects or elements. A group is a set of elements that can be combined or manipulated in certain ways, while symmetries refer to the properties of objects or systems that remain unchanged under certain transformations.

2. What is the importance of studying groups and symmetries?

The study of groups and symmetries has many applications in various fields such as physics, chemistry, computer science, and engineering. It helps us to better understand patterns and structures in nature, and also has practical uses in cryptography, coding theory, and data analysis.

3. How are groups and symmetries related to each other?

In mathematics, groups are often used to describe symmetries. A symmetry can be seen as a type of transformation or operation that preserves certain properties of an object or system. Groups provide a formal way to define and understand these transformations and their properties.

4. What are some examples of groups and symmetries in everyday life?

Groups and symmetries can be found in many objects and systems around us. For example, the symmetries of a snowflake, a soccer ball, or a building can be described using group theory. Groups can also be used to classify and study the properties of chemical molecules, crystals, or geometric shapes.

5. Can groups and symmetries be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, groups and symmetries have many practical applications in fields such as physics, chemistry, and computer science. For example, group theory is used in quantum mechanics to describe the symmetries of atomic and subatomic particles. In computer graphics, symmetries are used to create patterns and designs, while in cryptography, group theory is used to develop secure encryption algorithms.