Guassian Elimination (Row reduction) of 3 simultaneous eqn.

In summary, the conversation is about solving a set of simultaneous equations using Gaussian elimination. The person has attempted to solve it but keeps getting incorrect answers. They ask for help in identifying their mistake.
50Cent

Homework Statement

I have been given the 3 following simultaneous equations

21kl1ld.jpg

and the question is:
"(a) Solve the equations using Gaussian elimination, showing all your working."

fairly simple topic i know, but i can't get the answer :/

The Attempt at a Solution

Had a few attempts at it.. here's one of them:

Heres my augmented matrix:

34exab9.jpg

I switched Row 1 (R1) with Row 2 (R2)

2ia69ma.jpg

any from there i can work out x1, x2, x3 etc... but i keep getting reidiculous numbers. And when i check them in the 1st set of equations given, they obviously come out to be wrong.

I.e for this attempt i get

x3 = 517/210
x2 = -2297/1230
x1 = -19.408

What am I doing wrong? Any help is much appreciated
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
On your second step where you did R3-2*R1, 26-(2*-21) does not equal 10

What is Gaussian elimination (row reduction) of 3 simultaneous equations?

Gaussian elimination, also known as row reduction, is a method used to solve a system of linear equations by transforming the equations into a form that is easier to solve. This method involves using elementary row operations to create an upper triangular matrix, which can then be easily solved using back substitution.

How is Gaussian elimination (row reduction) carried out?

Gaussian elimination is carried out by using three elementary row operations: multiplying a row by a non-zero constant, adding a multiple of one row to another row, and swapping two rows. These operations are used to transform the equations into an upper triangular matrix, and then back substitution is used to solve the system.

Why is Gaussian elimination (row reduction) useful?

Gaussian elimination is useful because it allows us to solve a system of linear equations in a systematic and efficient manner. It can also be used to find the inverse of a matrix, which is important in many areas of mathematics and science.

What are the limitations of Gaussian elimination (row reduction)?

One limitation of Gaussian elimination is that it can be computationally expensive for large systems of equations. Additionally, the method may fail if the equations are dependent or inconsistent. In these cases, other methods may be more suitable for solving the system of equations.

Are there any applications of Gaussian elimination (row reduction) in real life?

Yes, Gaussian elimination has many real-life applications, such as in engineering, economics, and physics. It can be used to solve problems involving systems of linear equations, such as finding the equilibrium point in a chemical reaction or determining the optimal solution in a linear programming problem.