Solving a System of Equations with Gaussian Elimination

• Thread starter ImAnEngineer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Set
In summary, to solve the given equations for any value of a, one can use Gaussian elimination by adding row 1 to -a times row 2 and -3 times row 1 to a times row 3, or by dividing row 1 by a (assuming a does not equal 0). This will result in the system being in row-echelon form, allowing for further solving of the equations.
ImAnEngineer

Homework Statement

Show that the following equations can be solved for any a:
ax1 + 2x2 + ax3 = 5a
x1 + 2x2 + (2-a)x3 = 5
3x1 + (a+2)x2 + 6x3 = 15

2. The attempt at a solution
I thought I would do gaussian elimination to get it into reduced form (in a coefficient matrix), and see where I can go from there. But I don't know how to do Gaussian elimination because the coefficient of a certrain x1 is a...

Can anybody give a hint?

Physics news on Phys.org
Just use Gaussian elimination. For starters, add row 1 to -a times row 2, and add -3 times row 1 to a times row 3. That will eliminate the first entries in the 2nd and 3rd rows. Continue until you get the system in row-echelon form.

Alternatively, you can divide row 1 by a, but in doing so, you are tacitly assuming that a != 0.

What is the purpose of solving a set of equations?

Solving a set of equations allows us to find the values of unknown variables that satisfy all of the given equations. This is useful in many fields of science, including physics, engineering, and mathematics.

What are the different methods for solving a set of equations?

The most commonly used methods for solving a set of equations are substitution, elimination, and graphing. Other methods include matrix algebra, Gaussian elimination, and Cramer's rule.

How can I determine if a set of equations has a unique solution?

A set of equations has a unique solution if the number of equations is equal to the number of unknown variables and there are no redundant or contradictory equations. This can also be determined by graphing the equations and seeing if they intersect at a single point.

What is the difference between a consistent and inconsistent set of equations?

A consistent set of equations has at least one solution, while an inconsistent set has no solutions. An example of an inconsistent set would be two parallel lines, where they do not intersect and therefore have no solution.

Can I use technology to solve a set of equations?

Yes, there are many software programs and online tools available that can solve sets of equations for you. However, it is important to understand the methods and concepts behind solving equations in order to use technology effectively and verify the accuracy of the results.