Start a Career in Computer Software: 24 Yr. Old's Guide

• Thread starter XxsithlordxX
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Guidance
In summary, if you are interested in learning to program, then you can do so at any age. It is also possible to do certification programs and participate in programming contests to improve your skills.
XxsithlordxX
I am a 24 yr. old going to community college. I know nothing about computers, but am fascinated by them and what they are capable of. I want to get a job as a computer software programmer or possibly a web designer. My question is: Is it too late for me? Is it even possible, given I am almost computer retarded. I have a passion to learn and the means, but most computer tech people I know have been working with computers since they were kids. Someone please give me some pointers.

Technology news on Phys.org
Anyone with a functioning set of brains and who can think logically and mathematically can learn to program. It's got less to do with your ability with computers and more with having affinity for being able of thinking in certain patterns. Besides, with most modern frameworks and languages, a lot of tools and features are already present which allow you to focus on actually building something instead of meddling with low-level hardware and a lot of frequently used things such as IO and database connections are already present in very convenient forms.

If you really want to learn something, then it's never too late. I'm 24 and only recently picked up a guitar. :P

XxsithlordxX said:
I am a 24 yr. old going to community college. I know nothing about computers, but am fascinated by them and what they are capable of. I want to get a job as a computer software programmer or possibly a web designer. My question is: Is it too late for me? Is it even possible, given I am almost computer retarded. I have a passion to learn and the means, but most computer tech people I know have been working with computers since they were kids. Someone please give me some pointers.

I think it's worthwhile to learn more about computers, even if you aren't going to do anything with computers professionally, since computers are everywhere.

You know how to post in a message board, use e-mail (to get an account on the message board), and can probably surf the net (to find this message board), so maybe these free online videos are right for you:

http://computerscience1.tv/2010/spring/

Just click on the play button and they should immediately start playing.

I used to be like you, not knowing anything and being scared about computers, but those videos helped me get started.

XxsithlordxX said:
computer software programmer or possibly a web designer

Just a clarification:

Programmers need to think systematically and be aware of the functionality and behavior of computers. Designers need to learn aesthetics and be comfortable with particular software packages. Having been a web programmer for 11 years, I know I've given certain people an enormously incorrect impression of myself by saying that I was a web designer. Effectively, designers don't have to be technically-savvy (it may help), but programmers do.

Technically, I'm not sure if there's a much of a distinction between "web developer" and "web programmer", but I think "programmer" implies a bit more technicality.

Anyway, I expect you'll be a bit behind the game, since most programmers seem to have started out pretty young. But by no means is it too late. I would probably recommend starting out with something like complex JavaScript, more-or-less as a test to see if you're really interested in programming or not. It's free, there's a lot of help available online, it's fairly robust, and it's easy to produce something handy.

If you're still interested in programming after having gotten into the gory-guts-of-code, then you can move onto the "truer" programming languages like Java and C++.

DaveE

It is of course never too late... do certifications and sign up and practice in programming contest websites like www.topcoder.com[/url], [url]www.spoj.pl[/url], [url]www.codeforces.com[/URL] etc. I have seen people of other streams like mechanical engineering doing well in coding.. so its never too late :)

Last edited by a moderator:

1) What education or degree is required to start a career in computer software?

A degree in computer science or a related field is typically required to enter the field of computer software. However, some employers may also consider candidates with relevant experience or coding bootcamp certifications.

2) What skills are necessary to succeed in a career in computer software?

Some essential skills for a career in computer software include proficiency in programming languages, problem-solving abilities, attention to detail, and the ability to work collaboratively in a team. Additionally, having strong communication and time management skills can also be beneficial.

3) How can I gain experience in computer software if I am just starting out?

One way to gain experience in computer software is through internships or co-op programs. You can also work on personal projects, contribute to open-source projects, or participate in coding challenges. Networking and attending industry events can also provide opportunities to gain hands-on experience and make valuable connections.

4) What career opportunities are available in the field of computer software?

The field of computer software offers a wide range of career opportunities, including software engineer, web developer, mobile application developer, database administrator, and quality assurance analyst. There are also opportunities in project management, technical writing, and user experience design.

5) How can I stay updated on the latest trends and technologies in computer software?

To stay updated on the latest trends and technologies in computer software, you can attend industry conferences, join online communities and forums, read tech blogs and publications, and participate in online courses and workshops. It is also important to continuously learn and improve your skills through self-study and practice.