1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Guidance for online BSc in Physics

1. Oct 10, 2014 #1
    I currently have a undergraduate degree in Computer Science and Engineering and I would like to take up physics along with my current employment position. So I am looking for a online course of BSc in Physics.
    But I am not sure what university to choose and where the online courses are best.
    I would like to know the following information:
    -> Good Colleges for BSc in Physics (Preferably India)
    -> What are the majors I can choose from
    -> How many Hours of study is required to complete the education
    -> what is the tentative cost for such a course

I know class room education is preferable to online course. I would like to know any other suggestions as well. I do have a pre-university education majoring in Science.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2014 #2
    Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

4. Oct 18, 2014 #3
    Hello Bharath,

1. The best option for you right now is to go for Bachelor of Physics course conducted by Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU).
    The program is not online. It's distance education! They will send you all the study material and you just have to attend few classes on weekends for your doubt clearing sessions and your practical lab work and appear for exams every year.
    Practical lab work is essential as it forms a part of the curriculum.

Admission for this year to the program has been closed, however you can apply for the January intake. (Admissions are held two times a year for the program)

2. You have to complete total 96 credits for the BSc program. For Physics major, you need to complete at least 48 credits in Physics.
    3. The course duration is 3 years minimum and 6 years maximum.
    4. The total fees for the program is Rs. 10500 (@ Rs.3500 per year) That is pretty cheap I guess ;) Hardly $200 for your bachelor's degree ;)

Following is a link to the program guide:

http://www.ignou.ac.in/ignou/aboutignou/school/sos/programmes/detail/415/2
    http://ignou.ac.in/upload/programme-guide-english-BSc

I hope that helps :)
    Best of luck

5. Oct 19, 2014 #4
    Thanks very much for the suggestion :)
    This seems good option.

6. Oct 19, 2014 #5
    You're welcome :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook