Should I choose Engineering over Physics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the dilemma of choosing between studying Engineering or Physics. The individual wants to be able to excel in multiple fields of engineering while also having a strong background in architecture. They mention the example of Elon Musk, who has a degree in Physics, but ultimately wants to confirm which path would be best for their goals of inventing new technology and turning science fiction into reality. The conversation also highlights the importance of being specific and knowing one's goals in order to make an informed decision between the two disciplines.
chiro said:
Since science and engineering is based on mathematics my suggestion to the OP would be to focus on something that has as much applied mathematics as possible whether that be physics, engineering, applied mathematics, computer science or whatever else meets this prerequisite.

At least if you can become fluent in that language then you can pickup books and other learning resources across fields and have some sense of what is going on.

You won't learn the specifics though - and that will always require more study, but at least you can pick up these books and get some sense of what is going on.

Most technology across all fields requires mathematics, statistics, and the use of computer technology for creation, evaluation and other activities pertaining to the creation of new technology and as such that would be my recommendation (in line with what is said above) where these courses and training is combined with other more specialized courses and training that is line with specific interests and specializations to meet them.

That was a good suggestion and to be fair I am almost done with half precalculus mathematics book! I wanted to finish it, but haven't got a free time to do that yet!

Physics news on Phys.org
PantheraC said:
That was a good suggestion and to be fair I am almost done with half precalculus mathematics book! I wanted to finish it, but haven't got a free time to do that yet!

Huh? You're doing QM, relativity and classical mechanics, but haven't finished a precalculus book??

NowsTheTime said:
I was in a very similar position to the one you're currently a few months ago. I'm going to be entering University next year as a Physics major. I was faced with the same dilemma: Engineering or Physics? Ever since I was young, I've had a fascination with sci-fi and technology. I knew I wanted to make some amazing technological development in one way or another, but my interests were varied. I chose Physics because I thought that it would make sense to understand the fundamentals to a great extent before choosing the areas that I would focus my efforts. But who knows? I might switch my major to some engineering field if that is what I decide to do. You mentioned that you will be beginning your studies next year, so I would urge you to just pick whatever major interests you the most and that you do your own research on the side. Early on, physics and engineering majors both have very similar schedules.

Also, Physics typically has less required courses, so there is more flexibility. I wish you the best if luck.

Thank you so much for the replay! I wish that I will end up with the right decision that I can make! I wish you good luck too on your journey!

micromass said:
Huh? You're doing QM, relativity and classical mechanics, but haven't finished a precalculus book??

Actually I am studying both at the same time, but I get the Physics book without having to finish precalculus!

Something is not making sense here.

In order to make sense, as you are preparing first for college or university, and then to choose and earn a degree in something (science or engineering), continue the Mathematics track. Choose a major field, maybe Physics or Engineering. Learn according to the program. Learn to use what your teachers tell you. Take your laboratory sections of your courses seriously; just as seriously as the lectures and the readings.

Last edited:
symbolipoint said:
Something is not making sense here.

In order to make sense, as you are preparing first for college or university, and then to choose and earn a degree in something (science or engineering), continue the Mathematics track. Choose a major field, maybe Physics or Engineering. Learn according to the program. Learn to use what your teachers tell you. Take your laboratory sections of your courses seriously; just as seriously and the lectures and the readings.

Ok to make things more clear for you I am autodidact! I study stuff by my own which means I am being an epistemophilic person and that leads to me being someone who teaches himself rather than being taught by others.

I am entering University next year and now I only have 1 year left in high school life (secondary school).

PantheraC said:
Actually I am studying both at the same time, but I get the Physics book without having to finish precalculus!

It isn't a real physics book then, especially not for the subject areas you've listed.

I get it, you're excited about learning, that's great. You're putting the cart before the horse though, you should start studying in-depth the classes you're currently taking. Then when you get the university, pick a major - I've given you what I think would be best for you if it's offered in the UK - and then study your current courses in-depth. That is the best way to be successful here, not assuming you're already mastering subjects without having any of the foundation.

PantheraC said:
Ok to make things more clear for you I am autodidact! I study stuff by my own which means I am being an epistemophilic person and that leads to me being someone who teaches himself rather than being taught by others.

I am entering University next year and now I only have 1 year left in high school life (secondary school).

You don't want to be an autodidact, you want to be a university educated individual.

How are you doing in your high school courses?

PantheraC said:

How are you with using, maintaining, and selecting equipment? How are you with managing the use of real materials? Keeping everything on paper and just in your head is too limiting.

I'm confused by this thread and some of the responses, or just not in on the joke. :sorry:

Student100 said:
I'm confused by this thread and some of the responses, or just not in on the joke. :sorry:
Why? Your advisory responses have been good. PantheraC just needs guidance, adapt to the education as he finds it, and self-discipline. I am not joking, you are not joking, and I believe PantheraC is not joking.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
symbolipoint said:
Why? Your advisory responses have been good. PantheraC just needs guidance, adapt to the education as he finds it, and self-discipline. I am not joking, you are not joking, and I believe PantheraC is not joking.

Thank you for that beautiful response symbolipoint! That's what I am looking for and wish to get the response that will help me out!

And to tour other replay, I have been helping my father with our car using the same knowledge that I got from the books that I've read and it went good.

I reevaluate now what was said in post #44 and #45, after reviewing this topic.

symbolipoint said:
I reevaluate now what was said in post #44 and #45, after reviewing this topic.

If you are confused about what I am trying to say, then let me know so that I can explain in a better way!

PantheraC said:
If you are confused about what I am trying to say, then let me know so that I can explain in a better way!
That might be a good idea. Plan and organize what you say in that post, before posting it.

A few of us tried to respond with honest help or suggestions to your topic post #1.

symbolipoint said:
That might be a good idea. Plan and organize what you say in that post, before posting it.

A few of us tried to respond with honest help or suggestions to your topic post #1.
I apologize for sounding confusing and that was because of the stress that I am going through, I am trying to figure out how to translate my degree so that I could send it to British Council (Not my Swedish degree, but the one that I got from studying abroad in the country I am currently in..)!

So what I want you to help me out with is that I am trying to figure out weather I should study Physics or Engineering and i know that you understood that part, but I wanted you to know that I didn't explain myself properly as you can see why people commented that they got confused.

Why do I want to study Physics or Engineering, that's because of what I am planning on doing in the future which is all about improving how our daily life really works. I want to be able to bring better technology to our future life and improve how old technology works to make it more useful than it is now! Not only do I want to improve how our mechanical nor electrical devices work, but instead improve how our architecture, genetics and energy studies work. I know that this sounds like a mission that was set to work only if time didn't exist, but may I remind you that nothing is really impossible!

First I am planning on finishing studying Physics to understand the concept of life so that everything gets easier to deal with, because everything that we see with our eyes works with the laws of Physics and nothing has nullified that concept yet, which is why I am so concerned about studying Physics instead of Engineering. But I was afraid of one thing and that was if Physics where actually taught as the way I imagined it to be, because if it wasn't then that's where my theory needs to be changed into a more realistic one where that goal can actually be achieved.

So that's my story and I hope that I would get a proper answer this time and I once again apologize for not being clear before! :)

PantheraC said:
improving how our daily life really works. I want to be able to bring better technology to our future life and improve how old technology works to make it more useful than it is now! Not only do I want to improve how our mechanical nor electrical devices work, but instead improve how our architecture, genetics and energy studies work. I know that this sounds like a mission that was set to work only if time didn't exist, but may I remind you that nothing is really impossible!

Sounds like engineering to me.

micromass said:
Sounds like engineering to me.

What type of engineering is it? :)

PantheraC said:
What type of engineering is it? :)

It sounds like all types of engineering, which is impossible to do. You'll need to make a choice.

Likes symbolipoint
About post #50:
Most of what you describe to want is Engineering. Much of what you said in the post is not well organized thoughts. Pick something, some program, and study it. Do the required courses within and outside of those of the Engineering department for an Engineering degree, and you will need to pick how you want to focus (elective courses) after that.

micromass said:
It sounds like all types of engineering, which is impossible to do. You'll need to make a choice.

symbolipoint said:
About post #50:
Most of what you describe to want is Engineering. Much of what you said in the post is not well organized thoughts. Pick something, some program, and study it. Do the required courses within and outside of those of the Engineering department for an Engineering degree, and you will need to pick how you want to focus (elective courses) after that.

That's where it becomes hard for a moment..
I can't think of a faster way to do this without having to go through all the Engineering degrees all by once..

PantheraC said:
That's where it becomes hard for a moment..
I can't think of a faster way to do this without having to go through all the Engineering degrees all by once..
Your goal is impossible. You can't master all those disciplines. This is not the 16th century where a person could still be knowledgeable in all things. You'll need to pick and choose. Go ahead and don't believe us, you'll find out sooner rather than later.

micromass said:
Your goal is impossible. You can't master all those disciplines. This is not the 16th century where a person could still be knowledgeable in all things. You'll need to pick and choose. Go ahead and don't believe us, you'll find out sooner rather than later.
I never said that I wouldn't believe you, I saw that and knew that I had to spend a lot of time to finish what I am planning on finishing!
So now I have only one thing that I am still confused about, what Engineering degree should I study? I am more into Electrical & Mechanical Engineering fields than the others.

PantheraC said:
So now I have only one thing that I am still confused about, what Engineering degree should I study? I am more into Electrical & Mechanical Engineering fields than the others.

sounds to me like you should study electrical or mechanical.

Like i said before most programs start general for the first year. you can switch during that period if you want.

PantheraC said:
One could do both, or one with a minor in the other. If possible, do as much physics as one is able.

Most engineering disciplines involved normal scales from mm to m to km is various systems. The m to km scale would apply to transportation and energy distribution systems.

With microelectronics, we moved down to the micron level, and now with nano-technology, we're concerned about nanometer scale. There have been areas where we've been concerned about the picometer scale (and even fm) in terms of relating atoms and sub-atomic structure to metals, alloys, molecules and compounds.

These days, we tackle a broad range of scales from subatomic to km.

Engineering is more or less applied physics, and one has to determine the balance of theory and application in which one wishes to practice.

Likes PantheraC
PantheraC,
Pick Engineering. Do the required Mathematics courses early or along the way. A program in Engineering (or any "major" field) will have some required "CORE" courses which every student must study. Pick electives as you see or find interest. This means, along with required Math and Physics courses, you enroll in and study specified core Engineering courses. You do not do every course all at once. You take certain courses in a sequence, term by term. You should find in the university or college catalog for the section on your Engineering program, a listing of what is suggested for each sequence of semesters. This would naturally be a listing of what you could enroll in during each semester. The listing will cover four or five years.

Astronuc said:
One could do both, or one with a minor in the other. If possible, do as much physics as one is able.

Most engineering disciplines involved normal scales from mm to m to km is various systems. The m to km scale would apply to transportation and energy distribution systems.

With microelectronics, we moved down to the micron level, and now with nano-technology, we're concerned about nanometer scale. There have been areas where we've been concerned about the picometer scale (and even fm) in terms of relating atoms and sub-atomic structure to metals, alloys, molecules and compounds.

These days, we tackle a broad range of scales from subatomic to km.

Engineering is more or less applied physics, and one has to determine the balance of theory and application in which one wishes to practice.
In the first place I was trying to figure out how to study as much Physics as I could and then I get recommended to study Engineering, because Physics wasn't the correct answer. One thing that I don't know is that could you study Applied Physics for all type of Engineering by once?

I've been reading about nanotechnology and other scales technology and found it to be amazing how our technology is improving and what we can expect to see in the future!

symbolipoint said:
PantheraC,
Pick Engineering. Do the required Mathematics courses early or along the way. A program in Engineering (or any "major" field) will have some required "CORE" courses which every student must study. Pick electives as you see or find interest. This means, along with required Math and Physics courses, you enroll in and study specified core Engineering courses. You do not do every course all at once. You take certain courses in a sequence, term by term. You should find in the university or college catalog for the section on your Engineering program, a listing of what is suggested for each sequence of semesters. This would naturally be a listing of what you could enroll in during each semester. The listing will cover four or five years.
That would be the obvious thing to do if I choose Engineering as my study, because it would be harder to manage time if continue on finishing every Engineering field (4 if I choose Engineering to be the subject I will study).

You're still stuck on this idea that you can do everything.

PantheraC said:
That would be the obvious thing to do if I choose Engineering as my study, because it would be harder to manage time if continue on finishing every Engineering field (4 if I choose Engineering to be the subject I will study).

I think you're confused, you don't ever finish a "engineering field." Can you take 12~ or so years out of your life to get every type of engineering degree possible? Sure, if you can find a university that will let you do that and are independent wealthy. Does this mean you've now mastered 4~ fields of engineering? Not even close. By the time you finish the last, the first degree will be worthless because of advances in the field and atrophy from not using your degree in industry. The degree itself only certifies a basic understanding of the underlying concepts and ability to enter the work force as an entry level engineer.

Likes billy_joule and PantheraC
PantheraC said:
In the first place I was trying to figure out how to study as much Physics as I could and then I get recommended to study Engineering, because Physics wasn't the correct answer. One thing that I don't know is that could you study Applied Physics for all type of Engineering by once?

I've been reading about nanotechnology and other scales technology and found it to be amazing how our technology is improving and what we can expect to see in the future!

Physics is more or less divorced from applications related to the basic research that goes on in academia. So no, what you listed you wanted to do is not physics. Further, applied physics is not a certain physics subject, or series of courses married to a certain engineering discipline. So saying, "study applied physics for all types of engineering" doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

In the US applied physics is a fancy name given to engineering students (most every program I looked at are offered by the engineering department) in a program that gives students more theory (physics) and a broader set of engineering subjects to choose from. This results in a knowledge base that is supposedly broader - yet at the same time shallower - than either a physics student or an engineering student given a specific specialization. The degree program is the closest to the jack of all trades you want to be, but you will not master (or even study!) every field by any means.

Likes PantheraC
Student100 said:
You're still stuck on this idea that you can do everything.
I think you're confused, you don't ever finish a "engineering field." Can you take 12~ or so years out of your life to get every type of engineering degree possible? Sure, if you can find a university that will let you do that and are independent wealthy. Does this mean you've now mastered 4~ fields of engineering? Not even close. By the time you finish the last, the first degree will be worthless because of advances in the field and atrophy from not using your degree in industry. The degree itself only certifies a basic understanding of the underlying concepts and ability to enter the work force as an entry level engineer.

Student100 said:
Physics is more or less divorced from applications related to the basic research that goes on in academia. So no, what you listed you wanted to do is not physics. Further, applied physics is not a certain physics subject, or series of courses married to a certain engineering discipline. So saying, "study applied physics for all types of engineering" doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

In the US applied physics is a fancy name given to engineering students (most every program I looked at are offered by the engineering department) in a program that gives students more theory (physics) and a broader set of engineering subjects to choose from. This results in a knowledge base that is supposedly broader - yet at the same time shallower - than either a physics student or an engineering student given a specific specialization. The degree program is the closest to the jack of all trades you want to be, but you will not master (or even study!) every field by any means.

Yeah that's true, I have this idea stuck in my mind because that's what I am dreaming of doing in my life! Well, at least you saved my life and told me that, thanks! Now I am planning on studying only to majors in Engineering and these are Mechanical & Electrical Engineering! Thanks once again everyone for everything you've done for me and I will never forget how you helped me out figuring what I should do when I was stuck with the mindset of finishing every Engineering field as fast as possible and get out with PhD in everything (craziest dang someone could come up with!).