1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Gun-projectile Elastic Collisions

1. Jul 8, 2017 #1
    So I'm reading my textbook and there's a problem asking what the muzzle speed of a projectile would be if the gun it is being fired from is free to recoil. I'm given the muzzle speed of the projectile when the gun is stationary, the mass of the projectile, and the mass of the gun. I'm also told that the kinetic energies of the system is the same for both cases. How is a problem like this solved? Every equation I've thought of so far ends up with two variables (the projectile's new speed and the gun's free-to-recoil speed).

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 8, 2017 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF. :smile:

When there are no outside forces involved (when the gun is free to recoil), what fundamental quantities are conserved?

4. Jul 8, 2017 #3
    Momentum is conserved.

5. Jul 8, 2017 #4

berkeman

BTW, once you get the fundamental concepts involved, you can start a thread about the problem in the Homework Help, Introductory Physics forum, and fill out the Template that you are provided there. You can show your work on the problem, and ask us to check it for you. :smile:

6. Jul 8, 2017 #5
    Awesome, thanks for letting me know!

7. Jul 8, 2017 #6

berkeman

Great! So go ahead and start the thread in the HH forums, and show how you work out the problem using that information. Go ahead and post a link to your new thread here once you've started it.

8. Jul 8, 2017 #7

scottdave

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Create one equation using momentum, and another with kinetic energy.

9. Jul 8, 2017 #8

berkeman

Good hints. Let's see what he posts in his HH thread. Thanks.

10. Jul 8, 2017 #9
    I'm spending as much time trying to figure out how to post on the thread as I am trying to figure out the problem. Haha I'm using an iPhone right now, which always seems to make my life harder :)

11. Jul 8, 2017 #10

berkeman

Oh rats. There may be a bug that keeps you from being able to post in the Homework Help forums using the PF app right now, sorry about that.. Can you post from a laptop or desktop later, or just use the web to post it? Ack!

12. Jul 8, 2017 #11
    I'm actually just using the web browser on my phone. Haha I think I can post, it just takes a while to get there. I'm having more trouble figuring out the problem now. Because I'm not exactly sure how to relate momentum and kinetic energy.

13. Jul 8, 2017 #12

berkeman

The hint was to use those for two simultaneous equations...

14. Jul 8, 2017 #13

berkeman

I'll go ahead and close this thread in the technical forums so you can start your thread in the Homework Help forums. :smile:

15. Jul 8, 2017 #14

berkeman

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook